Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Traveling in April 2006

Guest Rick F

Hello again, Chums:

I will be visiting the battlefields for the second time arriving in Paris from the US April 16. I will be staying in Reims that evening, and planning to visit the sites around Verdun Sunday and Monday. As Sunday is Easter Sunday, what can I expect as far as shops, restaurants, etc being open? I have a hotel reservation in hand for Sunday night so am not concerned about that. Mostly, I am concerned about petrol and dinner!

Also, what can I expect from the weather this time of year? From Reims, I am traveling to Luxembourg to visit the Bulge battlefields, then Aachen in Germany, then over to Arras and finally back to Paris for my return flight. I know I can count on rain any time, but what are the general temps in that area and what chances of snow? I certainly would not like to take my heavy coat and gloves if I can avoid it. Any replies are most appreciated.

Rick

Rick,

cannot advise on petrol and shops over Easter, however with regards to the weather you really have to be prepared for anything, my experience in these areas especially the Somme is you can have a taste of all the four seasons during just one days walking, set of in glorious sunshine, then get soaked by rain/sleet coming in sideways before being blown into a hedge or two.

It is unlikely that it will freeze or snow in April but you cannot rely on it!

Sorry if this leaves you even more confused but my advice is you might need that coat and gloves, but also pack some sun block if you are follically challenged like me.

Have a great trip,

Regards,

Scottie.

Rick,

It is unlikely that it will freeze or snow in April but you cannot rely on it!

I am afraid it is all too common for it to snow and freeze in April in Northern France.

Isn't there another thread on this subject somewhere else?

Rick,

Don't worry about Petrol or dinner - they're both freely available at broadly comparable prices to rip off Britain.

If I were you, I would be more concerned about having my car broken into whilst visiting some of the battlefield sights, also being fined on the spot by over zealous Gendarmes if caught speeding, so be careful..!!

Have a great time..!!

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Papineau, it was nice to meet you under the gate with Iain and put a face to the name! Keep the faith mate and I will look after Iain. His beer glass hand is a bit wobbly, but we are working on it, aint we Iain! :rolleyes::lol:

I will look after Iain. His beer glass hand is a bit wobbly, but we are working on it, aint we Iain!

Hi

Iain, you let me down mate....... :lol:

All that time and effort I put into you, explaining all them Belgian beers and their strengths...built you up and then this....

First contender comes along..... ;)

Cheers

Marc.

When exactly will you be in Luxembourg?

I shall be away over Easter but back shortly after.

The battle of the Bulge front line is one of my guiding standards.