Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Rose, Birmingham

Guest mandycan

Guest mandycan

Hi. This is a long shot, but I was directed to your site by someone who has been helped by you before. I apologise for the lack of information, but this is all I have. Maybe someone could direct me to where I could find more info.

There has long been a 'story' in my family that the brother of my Great Grandmother, Lily Rose, was a 'hero' in WW1. Personally I think they were all heroes! Anyhow, he apparantly gave his gas mask to a 14 year old drummer boy, and as a result he died. A medal was apparantly issued. I have not been able to find any information to either back this up, or disprove it.

Lily had 3 brothers - George, joseph and William. I think I can rule George out of it as my mother remembers him. So that leaves Joseph and William. Joseph was in the Royal Army Medical Corps PVTE 41980. I do not know which regiment, if any, William was in. My mother thinks it was William rather than Joseph.

William was born about 1891, Joseph about 1884, in Birmingham. They lived in Harborne. Their mother was Annie Rose (nee Knight) and Father was Joseph Rose. I have tried National Archives, CWGC etc.

Any ideas?

Mandy XX

How about 235288 Pte William Rose, 15th Royal Welsh Fusiliers and formerly 7058 Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Born and enlisted in Birmingham, killed in action on 6 December 1917.

Here's his CWGC entry: http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=192832

Or 28742 Pte William Alexander Rose, 1st Royal Warwicks, kiled in action 30 August 1918. Born and lived in Birmingham, given as enlisted in Worcester - but if I remember right, Harborne was in Worcestershire at that time?

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=250613

Lack of next of kin details make it difficult to guess which man he was, if either.

Given the dates of death it is improbable that a 14yr old was in F&F at the time. I believe that sometime before this there was a sweep of the regiments in F&F. First Army Routine Orders of 15/09/16 stated that if a soldier was under 17 he would be sent home, if over 17 but under 18.5 he will be sent home if willing. If not willing he will be utilized behind the firing line. Over 18.5 but under 19 - posted to a training unit behind the lines until 19.

Of course, on enlisting, the age supplied by the recruit was his official army age and if no enquiries were made by family to refute it and have the boy sent home he would stay.

Davie.

Guest mandycan

Thank you Chris! I will follow these leads up.

That's interesting Davie. I have a feeling that this tale has been 'embellished' over time, don't you?

Mandy XX