Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Landings

nunnj1954

Does anyone have a detailed account of the landings at Sulva Bay on the 10th Aug 1915, concerning the 5th Battalion Suffolk Regiment, my gt uncle died there at Karakol Dagh on the 21st Aug. Regards John

I have the 1/5th Bn History:

On the evening of August 10th,we received orders to move forward to prolong the right of the Lancashire Fusiliers,whose trenches were on the south face of Karakol Dagh,& thus fill the gap between this point &the north~east edge of the Salt Lake.This having been done & outposts having been posted,we spent the night digging trenches.Early next morning we took up a more forward position,which we occupied until the afternoon of August 12th,when @ 3.30pm we received verbal orders to advance 1200 yards due east @ 4pm.the 1/5th Norfolks were to be on the right,the 1/8th Hants in the centre & the 1/5th Suffolks on the left,which directed the Attack.The 1/4th Norfolks were in support on the left...............{If you would like P/Copies of the relevant pages please PM me.}

John

You may have done the below.

If you put suvla in the search engine of this forum you will pick quite a few threads, some including the 5th Suffolks, that may assist you. Also, try Karagol.

Their War Diairies are available for Aug 1915 on the NA Documents on line site. Put in "WO 95/4325" ( including the "s ) in the Quick Search Box and it should bring up about 10 pages of results . They are on p2 or 3. You can download it for £3.50 ot thereabouts.

Hywyn

Hi John

If you or Harry could also forward these details to me as well, I would be most greatfull.

My Great Grandfather survived and my great Uncle was killed at Gallipoli serving with the 1/5 Suffolks

PM me and I will send you me email or postal address.

Regards

Mark