Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Jewell

liverpool annie

Charles Jewell is my relative and I'm trying to find out where he was on the day he died! but I can't find 51st Siege Bty - I'd appreciate any help you could give me !

Gunner CHARLES JOHN LOUIS JEWELL

6221, 51st Siege Bty., Royal Garrison Artillery

who died age 41

on 13 November 1916

Son of Mrs. C. Jewell, of St. Heliers; husband of Mary Annie E. Jewell (nee Joyce), of 13, Old St. St. Heliers, Jersey.

Remembered with honour

DARTMOOR CEMETERY, BECORDEL-BECOURT

Medal card of Jewell, Charles

Royal Garrison Artillery

Gunner

Royal Garrison Artillery

Gunner

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07w/

But when I checked the Long Long Trail 51st Siege Bty. is NOT included

http://www.1914-1918.net/rga_siege.htm

Thanking you in advance

Annie :)

All I can suggest is The Battle of The Somme where I can't say

Thank you Lynn !!

I found out that Charles Jewell died of wounds on the 13 Nov 1916

and may have been wounded either on that day or earlier!.

The 'Soldiers Died' CD has him born Jersey - residence was Stoke Newington Middlesex - and he enlisted in London

And I'm wondering if he is on the Stoke Newington War Memorial - Bernard said it might be the one in Hackney - could anybody please tell me if he is - I've been looking and I can't find him !! I'd appreciate the help

Thanks again!

Annie

It's a reasonable guess that he was wounded the day he died - Dartmoor Cemetery was used as a burial ground for a main Dressing Station around that time.

It was the day of the major attack that moved towards thecapture of Beaumont Hamel, so it is again reasonable to guess that the Siege Battery was not only in action supporting the attack, but was coming under attack itself from German batteries.

I'm still trying to find my soldier!

John said

It's a reasonable guess that he was wounded the day he died - Dartmoor Cemetery was used as a burial ground for a main Dressing Station around that time.

It was the day of the major attack that moved towards thecapture of Beaumont Hamel, so it is again reasonable to guess that the Siege Battery was not only in action supporting the attack, but was coming under attack itself from German batteries

but I can't find out anything and I'm getting frustrated! ( perish the thought !!)

Would appreciate any further ideas !

Thanking you in advance