Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Forester. Pub and Club signs.

nsaspdin

post-10630-1142707939.jpg

These two signs appear in Friargate and Ashbourne Road, Derby. One on an old established working men’s club, and one on a pub, or club behind a pub.

Who was Mr Grundy? Is there a record of such an officer?

And what about the badge with “102 HG Z AA”. The 102 is part of the club name, the 102 Social Club.

I am sorry if neither of these questions turns out to be a WW1 topic, but hopefully they may generate something of interest.

I agree with Graeme. My snippets of information are that the club was formed by members of The 102nd Derbyshire Home Guard Anti Aicraft Battery which was based/stationed at the nearby Markeaton Park on the fringe of Derby.

I have previoulsy seen a document relating to :-

9 Home Guard Anti Aircraft Regiment.

101 Derbyshire Home Guard Rocket Anti Aircraft Battery.

The other picture is not similar to Cpt Brunt .

From the Great War period I know of no (officer) Grundy attached to the 5th Btn NDR or the Derbyshire Yeomanry. I have notes of 5 other ranks named Grundy for South Derbyshire, one MM (picture not similar) but cannot make a connection with Nigel's query.

Cannot comment on WW2 period apart from there was no Grundy with the 2/5th Sherwood Foresters. Perhaps the brewery or the landlord can answer it - excuse for a swift half :D Interesting post.

Stuart

There is only one problem with the suggestion............." I agree with Graeme. My snippets of information are that the club was formed by members of The 102nd Derbyshire Home Guard Anti Aicraft Battery which was based/stationed at the nearby Markeaton Park on the fringe of Derby."

I believe that the 102 number came from the former address of the club, until it burnt down in the 1960s, it was on the 1st floor over number 2 Uttoxeter Old Road, Derby, hence the name 1st over 2 or 102.

Can anyone establish for certain, as opposed to speculation, that there was indeed a 102 Derbyshire Home Guard Rocket Anti Aircraft Battery, or similar unit with the number 102 as opposed to 101.

I would also be interested to learn how Home Guard and similar organisations affiliated themselves to local regiments, and used their badges etc. But be kind to me as a novice, do not tell me this is straying too far from WW1, I realise that.

There is only one problem with the suggestion............." I agree with Graeme. My snippets of information are that the club was formed by members of The 102nd Derbyshire Home Guard Anti Aicraft Battery which was based/stationed at the nearby Markeaton Park on the fringe of Derby."

I believe that the 102 number came from the former address of the club, until it burnt down in the 1960s, it was on the 1st floor over number 2 Uttoxeter Old Road, Derby, hence the name 1st over 2 or 102.

Was unaware of the information that you have just added so that tends to negate my belief regarding the 102nd aspect.