Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Field Artillery.

dplatt

Would someone enlighten me please and let me know what the Royal Field Artillery was and how it differed from the Royal Artillery?

Thanks,

David.

In WW1, The Royal Regiment of Artillery comprised The Royal Horse Artillery, Royal Field Artillery and Royal Garrison Artillery.

Though the "RA" title did exist between 1899 and 1924 (when the RHA RFA and RGA merged into the "Royal Artillery") being worn by the Clerks section of the Royal Artillery.

Dave.

Hello,

To go a little further. RHA in 1914-18 had 13 pounders (the same type of gun which is still used for ceremonial in London). Their role was to provide artillery support for the Cavalry. RFA in the main the artillery that was part of and supported the infantry divisions using the 18 Pounder and 4.5" howitzer. As the war progressed there were also many Brigades of the RFA as part of the Armies which provided further support for the divisions as and when required. The RGA manned the heavy guns and the origin of their name is in the realm of fortresses i.e the artillery that was part of a garrison.

Old Tom