Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War diaries ... struggling to locate!

Barry Hayter

I'm seriously struggling to locate the reference ID for the 4 Royal Welsh Fusiliers (Pioneers) as I wish to order a copy from the National Archives. I've not a problem previously and recently received another diary which was exactly what I'd searched for (237th Cambridgeshire RE).

I've tried all combinations I can think of and also searched for Denbighshire as they were often refered to as 1\4 Denbighshire as well as 4th RWF (Pioneers) etc etc etc!

I know they were attached to the the 47th Divsion (2nd London) for the period I am interested in (Jan 1917 - end of war).Have also searched under 47th Div but that's thrown up a huge number of options!

Any assistance or hints would be gratefully received .... have tried searching WDs on the forum but not found anything to diretly assist.

Thanks as ever.

These should cover it:

WO 95/1280

4 Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers

1914 Nov. - 1915 Aug.

WO 95/2721

4 Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers (Pioneers)

1915 Sept. - 1919 May

WO 95/5464

68 (WELSH) DIVISION: 203 Infantry Brigade: 2/4 Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers

1915 Aug. - 1916 Mar.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Thanks all!

Any tips on how to search more successfully!

Jon - I assume you have the 237th Field Coy? Interesting to read his own hand in parts and plenty of fascinating detail .... have even managed to find a photo of the ship (S S Viper) which transported them to France.

I can't make out the Capt who writes most of the diary, think it's Mathison or Maltison, not sure.

If you know the Division then you can just type "47 Division", select the first entry and click on Browse from here.

Pioneers, Field Companies, etc. are listed under Army Troops.

Steve.

You want a full copy of 4RWF diary? You will need a second mortgage.

Here is a possible alternative, if you are not insistent on any maps, sketches and additional material, which is only to be found with the original:

I believe the RWF Museum holds a full set of typescript copies of WDs. If they have time to do a copy, I am sure that they will be cheaper than NA.

RWF Museum has a website.