VMH

I would greatly appreciate it if someone were able to look up:

Maxime Faggiani

Born: 31 March 1879, Moncalvo Italy

Lived in the London area

Served in English Army from 1914 -

Thank you very much

Hello

it is free for any one to look - I have had a quick search and cant find him.

No one of this name on the medal index cards either - only an Albert

Ian

VMH,

there is no one in the 1901 for all of England with that name. Do you have an Anglicised version as if I use the soundex method of searching (not exact Name) there are a possible 12 for London and none for Middlesex.

Virgilio Facchini abt 1882 Italy Servant St James London

Luigi Faccini abt 1856 Italy Boarder St Andrew and St George London

Giovanni Facina abt 1870 Italy Boarder St Andrew and St George London

Gaetano Facini abt 1855 Italy Head St Andrew and St George London

Maria Facini abt 1882 Italy Daughter St Andrew and St George London

Rosa Facini abt 1854 Italy Wife St Andrew and St George London

Louisa M Fajen abt 1850 Napton, Italy Boarder Hampstead London

Lingi Fassione abt 1881 Verolenzo Foreign Subject, Italy Servant St Saviour London

Alice Fazzani abt 1882 Italian Subject, Italy Servant Bromley London

Peter Fazzani abt 1861 Italy Head Bethnal Green London

Adrian Fazzin abt 1900 Italy Visitor St George in the East London

Guiseppe Fazzin abt 1874 Italy Visitor St George in the East London

Peter

Peter

A good thought re the name being anglicised

Re the picture in uniform - do you know if he actually served away from the UK ?

Ian

Peter

A good thought re the name being anglicised

Re the picture in uniform - do you know if he actually served away from the UK ?

Ian

Hello:

According to the Identity Booklet he was issued, there was no Anglicised version of his name. I was told that he served in the English Army but in Africa. Story goes he was a chef/cook, which might stand to reason since he spent 20+ years at the Ritz Hotel (confirmed by the Ritz that he managed the restaurant) after the war. There was some story about him getting injured (unsure by what) and left for dead and being picked up by local tribesman. (My grandmother did tend to elaborate ;) , so I am not sure if THAT was true.) She stated that her mother was told that he had died in the war but was rather surprised when he came walking up to the front door. He and his wife married in 1905, so it is possible that he emmigrated after 1901. Unfortunately I cannot find a date of emmigration nor do I know to whom to write to find any information. So if you gentlemen have suggestions, I would welcome them.

Many thanks,

Vela

Hello

If he served with a south african unit then I dont belive they are all included on the medal index cards - I will of course stand corrected - just i never found any when I looked at the national archives

Ian

Hi Vela,

I have full access to all the UK Census online and if no one does, I will check the 1891 for him when I get home this afternoon as that might help to pinpoint his location.

Peter

PS where I am it is 0745hrs B)

Hi Vela,

I have full access to all the UK Census online and if no one does, I will check the 1891 for him when I get home this afternoon as that might help to pinpoint his location.

Peter

PS where I am it is 0745hrs B)

Peter

Thank you very much for your offer of assistance. As I had mentioned I do not know the date of Maxime Faggiani's emmigration from Italy but he was born 31 March 1879. I wish the Identification book he was issued had included the emmigration date. Anyway, he and my great grandmother married in St. Martin's in London 18 September 1905. She, Alice Rochefort(e) (Father William, Mother Louise), was born 17 September 1881 in Gravesend. It is very likely Maxime did not get counted in a census until after 1901, but worth a look should he have been "missed". If you have the time and would not mind, I would appreciate any information on Alice as information on her is in short supply.

By the way, Maxime's daughter married and moved to Australia. I believe her son still lives there. Small world!

Vela

Vela,

well, we must be related as your lot has managed to dodge a couple of times when the census man knocked on the front door, the same as mine. :P

I could not find Maxime in the 1891 Census nor could I find your Rochfort(e)'s either.

I did find Maxime and Alice's marriage in the District of Strand, volume 1B, page 1305 so they did actually exist :rolleyes:

Peter

Vela,

well, we must be related as your lot has managed to dodge a couple of times when the census man knocked on the front door, the same as mine. :P

I could not find Maxime in the 1891 Census nor could I find your Rochfort(e)'s either.

I did find Maxime and Alice's marriage in the District of Strand, volume 1B, page 1305 so they did actually exist :rolleyes:

Peter

Yes, when I was in London a few years back, I went to the Family Records Centre and located their marriage license as well as other vital statistic records for the family. The archivist at the Ritz hotel was gracious enough to send me what records survived of the Faggiani's employment there and I have located a few photos. I did try to get a marriage license application from St. Martin in the Fields and City of Westminister for Maxime and Alice in order to try to find more information on the Rochefort(e)s but to no avail.

Are you aware of any online source of the index books that are in the Family Records Centre? For older copies one needs the index number and as much as I would like, I cannot plan a trip back to London in the near future.

Anyway, thank you so much for your assistance. This forum has been not only helpful but very interesting.

My sincere regards,

Vela