Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Colourising Photos

Guest mythago

I can't draw for toffee, but I do enjoy fiddling around in Photoshop. For the last couple of months I've been practising colourising black and white photos. This is one of my recent efforts - my Great Uncle Charles, brother of the bloke in my icon. He's trying desperately to look like an officer, poor chap, but the army wouldn't have him, so he had to make do with the Red Cross instead.

GUCb.jpg

you've made an excellent job of it, well done

Thanks! The skin colour's the hardest to get right - it's easy to get it too pink or too orange, and I also wasn't sure if the khaki was quite the right shade, but I think it's OK.

Cas

Hello

Its a good job. The colours (and this is a compliment) dont look like a modern photo but the technology of the time wasnt exactly digital so this makes it more authentic - Im sure they didnt have half a billion colours to choose from

Ian

If you like colourising black and white photos try the software program called 'Black Magic'. A demo version is available for free on the net here Black Magic

It's pretty easy to use and the results are really quite good.

Tim L.

That's very good.

zoo

An excellent effort. Could easily have been a scanned colour photo! For me, the buttons/belt buckle gave it away: maybe a bit too shiny.

But, a far better effort than I could provide. Keep it up!

Roxy

Thanks for your comments again. :) Tim, I'll download Black Magic and have a play around with it, although I've seen better efforts produced in Photoshop than the examples they have in their gallery.

Roxy, I did consider leaving the shiny bits in greyscale, but thought they looked better with a touch of colour added. After all, they would have been extra shiny for a studio portrait!

If anyone is interested in looking at some REALLY impressive colour photographs from 1905-1915 there's an archive here. They're not WW1 related but absolutely fascinating.

Cas

Thanks! The skin colour's the hardest to get right - it's easy to get it too pink or too orange,

As a commerial photographer I am often concerned with colour balance and correcting it due to incorrect colour temperature.

As a good rule of thumb the "correct" RGB values for caucasian skin are:-

red 200

green 165

blue 145

If you use a colour sampler and adjust colour balance using a curves layer you can adjust the colour quite accurately. You don't give away the secrets of how you have done the (excellent) job, but I would certainly suggest using a seperate layer for each colour and subsequently flattening the image to prevent huge file sizes.

If anyone is interested in looking at some REALLY impressive colour photographs from 1905-1915 there's an archive here. They're not WW1 related but absolutely fascinating.

Cas

Thanks for that link. Superb colours.

Recomend everyone have a look.

Well done Cas, a really good job there.

Would you not like to enter the colurised picture in to this months art topic thread? It doesn't have to be drawing to be art. Here is the link March MGWAT

The topic title is Gentlemen and Warriors and the Red Cross and this picture fit into that in my book.....

Jimothy - I haven't got as far as using curves layers yet. I do a rough selection of the particular bit to colour - say the belt, promote it as a layer then colourise it, masking out the coloured bits that go over the edge. Then move on to the next bit. Takes a long time, but it's worth it.

Owen D - they are superb pictures aren't they! I discovered them last year and have been raving about them to anyone who would listen ever since.

Cas

Would you not like to enter the colurised picture in to this months art topic thread? It doesn't have to be drawing to be art.

You know it hadn't occurred to me to submit it as I had always assumed the MGWAT threads were for 'proper drawings' :rolleyes: But you're right, this would fit the topic.

Cas

re black magic

unless you're happy shelling out for the professional version, i wouldn't bother.

the home version (for about £25 IIRC) only gives you about 30 or so colours to play with, i bought it and demanded my money back from them :angry: