Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.S. DONEGAL

geoff4

Hi all :D

Im hoping some one can help me, I would be most grateful if someone could help me with any info about the H.M.S. Dongeal : what happened to her, where did she sink and what date , how many people lost their lives, is there a memorial to them and were is it located, and if possible any info on frederick thomas staplehurst who served on her.

again Many thanks. B)

Hi all :D

Im hoping some one can help me, I would be most grateful if someone could help me with any info about the H.M.S. Dongeal : what happened to her, where did she sink and what date , how many people lost their lives, is there a memorial to them and were is it located, and if possible any info on frederick thomas staplehurst who served on her.

again Many thanks. B)

Is it Donegal that you are asking about?

If so this was an 9,800 ton armoured cruiser of the Monmouth Class (the name ship being sunk at Coronel), of 1904 vintage, that carried 14 x 6inch guns and was thus lightly armed for an armoured cruiser (9.2 inch guns being common on larger ships). HMS Donegal was not sunk during WW1 being sold off in 1920.

If it was a HMS Dongeal then I would have to do more digging.

If you're talking about a merchant (passenger) ship named Donegal, there was one of 1885 grt torpedoed and sunk by the German minelaying submarine UC 21 on Apri 17, 1917 19 miles South of the Dean LV 50°26'N 01°00'W).

Best wishes,

Michael

Midland Railway Company

The Midland Railway Company started Heysham - Belfast sailings in 1904. In 1907 they took over the fleet of the Barrow Steam Navigation Company. They in turn were taken over by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923.

Funnel:

1904-1923 red funnel, white band below black top.

1923-1925 buff funnel, red band below black top.

Fleet:

Antrim: Built 1904 in Heysham-Belfast, 1928 sold to Isle of Man SP Co., renamed Ramsey Town. 2,100 tons.

City of Belfast: Built 1893 in Barrow-Belfast, 1907 taken over with Barrow SN Co, 1925 sold to Greece, renamed Nicolaos Togias. 1,055 tons.

Donegal: Built 1904 in Heysham-Belfast, 1917 torpedoed and sunk in English Channel while a hospital ship. 1,997 tons.

Duchess of Devonshire: Built 1897. 1907 taken over with Barrow SN Co, Barrow-Belfast, 1928 sold to Bland,

Gibraltar, renamed Gibel Dersa. 1,265 tons.

Londonderry: Built 1904 in Heysham-Belfast, 1927 transferred to Angleterre - Lorraine - Alsace Line, renamed Flamand, Tilbury - Dunkirk, 1936 scrapped.

:wub:

Midland Railway Company

The Midland Railway Company started Heysham - Belfast sailings in 1904. In 1907 they took over the fleet of the Barrow Steam Navigation Company. They in turn were taken over by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923.

Funnel:

1904-1923 red funnel, white band below black top.

1923-1925 buff funnel, red band below black top.

Fleet:

Antrim: Built 1904 in Heysham-Belfast, 1928 sold to Isle of Man SP Co., renamed Ramsey Town. 2,100 tons.

City of Belfast: Built 1893 in Barrow-Belfast, 1907 taken over with Barrow SN Co, 1925 sold to Greece, renamed Nicolaos Togias. 1,055 tons.

Donegal: Built 1904 in Heysham-Belfast, 1917 torpedoed and sunk in English Channel while a hospital ship. 1,997 tons.

Duchess of Devonshire: Built 1897. 1907 taken over with Barrow SN Co, Barrow-Belfast, 1928 sold to Bland,

Gibraltar, renamed Gibel Dersa. 1,265 tons.

Londonderry: Built 1904 in Heysham-Belfast, 1927 transferred to Angleterre - Lorraine - Alsace Line, renamed Flamand, Tilbury - Dunkirk, 1936 scrapped.

B) Many Thanks for the all replyes first, sorry for getting the name wrong, it is the hospital ship H.M.S. Donegal

Dos anybody know how many men lost their lives :(

and is there a memorial to them, Many Thanks

:wub:

B) Many Thanks for the all replyes first, sorry for getting the name wrong, it is the hospital ship H.M.S. Donegal

Dos anybody know how many men lost their lives :(

and is there a memorial to them, Many Thanks

Hi Geoff,

According to Disasters at Sea: She sank in a very short time taking 29 wounded soldiers and 11 crew with her.

Regards

Arthur

Note that the Donegal was a hospital transport and not a true hospital ship. She was an armed vessel and fair game for submarine attack.

Best wishes,

Michael

Note that the Donegal was a hospital transport and not a true hospital ship. She was an armed vessel and fair game for submarine attack.

Best wishes,

Michael

:) I would like to thank you all for the info, with your help Iv found a site called DiverNet which

has the story of the donegal's down fall, it also contains a photo :) Is there a list of sailors anywhere, or a memorail somewhere :)

Many thanks for all replies

According to British Vessels Lost at Sea 11 crew crew members were lost.

I don't have any information on passenger losses, sorry.

Best wishes

David

Have managed to get a list from SDGW of 19 soldiers who died at sea on the 17th April 1917 if this is of any use to anyone - Please PM me as I off abroad for 2 weeks. Will deal with on my return.

chris