Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S S Viper

Barry Hayter

Reading a War Diary for the 237th Field Coy I note they travelled to France on the S S Viper.

Assume I've read that correctly! Any info or pictures out there?

The Viper was built at the Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co's yard in Govan in 1906 and was 315 feet in length. She had three steam turbines powering the triple screws, making her one of the company's fastest ships with a top speed of 22 knots. The steamer worked the Ardrossan-Belfast route from 1906 to 1914.

The ship served as a troop carrier in the English Channel during the First World War but returned to operation on her pre-war route in 1919. However the unrest in Ireland resulted in the decline in passenger traffic with Scotland and Viper was sold to the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co in 1920 and renamed Snaefell.

TGSA02070_m.jpg

An illustration of RMS Viper which appeared in a G & J Burns' Illustrated Souvenir in 1906.

• 10 years later...

..................and "Snaefell" scrapped in 1945.

• 6 months later...
Guest ovalpillbox

My Grandfather sailed with the 12th Labour Coy ASC to Le Havre on the Viper from Southampton on the 22nd May 1915 his 19th day in the Army.  ****** all training!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

My cousin say my grandfather was on the viper when it was torpedoed and that he saved mens lives. (William H Hurn) does anybody know anything about it being torpedoed or anything else connected 

Valerie

2 hours ago, ValerieBarton said:

My cousin say my grandfather was on the viper when it was torpedoed and that he saved mens lives. (William H Hurn) does anybody know anything about it being torpedoed or anything else connected 

Valerie

HMS Viper (1899) sank after striking rocks in 1901 - could this be the event your cousin is thinking of?