Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help tracing war dead relative

Kevin Marples

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I recently discovered that I had a great uncle who served in the navy and died in 1918, presumably on active service. His name saw Walter Marples and he was born around 1895 at Middleton-by-Wirksworth in Derbyshire. Nothing relating to a Walter Marples in the Navy on the CWGC website. I would also like to access his service record if they still exist. Any suggestions out their?

Kevin

Have you considered researching Pte Walter Marples of the West Yorks who died in Aug 1918.

Unless you have cast-iron information that places your Walter in the Navy this could be your man. A look at his records at Kew might help.

Garth

And these are the only Marples that come up in a search of seamans records on the NA site.

Name Marples, Herbert

Official Number: SS111079

Place of Birth: Wigan, Lancashire

15 June 1893

ADM 188/1117

Name Marples, Frank

Official Number: L2491

Place of Birth: Cranleigh, Surrey

28 September 1892

ADM 188/992

Name Marples, Edmund Christopher

Official Number: J70266

Place of Birth: Singapore

17 December 1900 ADM 188/787

Name Marples, James Albert

Official Number: J48816

Place of Birth: Barnsley, Yorkshire

17 June 1889 ADM 188/744

Alan

Kevin,

From Soldiers Died,

Private Walter Marples 1/8th West Yorks.

Drowned at sea 3/8/18.

Born = Middleton by Winkworth Derbyshire.

Bob.

Kevin

Have you considered researching Pte Walter Marples of the West Yorks who died in Aug 1918.

Unless you have cast-iron information that places your Walter in the Navy this could be your man. A look at his records at Kew might help.

Garth

Garth

I had already looked at this one but wasn't sure. Now that Bob has come up with a strong possible I will follow this up. Many thanks

Kevin,

From Soldiers Died,

Private Walter Marples 1/8th West Yorks.

Drowned at sea 3/8/18.

Born = Middleton by Winkworth Derbyshire.

Bob.

Bob nice one. This looks like my man. Any ideas what ships went down on that date?

From the date and other details, it stands to presume that Walter Marples was killed when the hospital transport Warilda was torpedoed and sunk 32 miles SSW from the Owers LV by UC 49. (Note that hospital transport were fair game; the Warilda, for example, was herself armed.)

Best wishes,

Michael

From the date and other details, it stands to presume that Walter Marples was killed when the hospital transport Warilda was torpedoed and sunk 32 miles SSW from the Owers LV by UC 49. (Note that hospital transport were fair game; the Warilda, for example, was herself armed.)

Best wishes,

Michael

Many thanks for that. Ill check the ship's details out on another web site