Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

D.C.M. Did he get it

John84

I think this is a bit of a strange one...or perhaps its not...perhaps some Pals could please help and will be able to put me right. One of our local lads appears to have been possibly awarded the D.C.M....He is not listed in Recipients of The Distinguished Conduct Medal, R. W. Walker, and I cant find any reference to him in the London Gazette....I wonder if he received an MID instead of the D.C.M.....As most probably know finding MID's in the gazette on-line is a sod....below is a write-up about my man from a local paper.

RECOMMENDED FOR D.C.M.

Petty Officer M. Convery, of Sherburn has written to his wife, who lives in Hope Street, Sherburn, informing her that he has been recommended for the D.C.M.., and enclosing in the letter a certificate which reads; "This is to certify that No. KX 162, Petty Officer Matthew Convery, of the Home Battery, Royal Naval Division, behaved in a gallant and courageous manner in action on the 17th. 18th. 21st and 22nd October, 1915 at Cape Helles,---- Signed A. Parish, C.B. Major-General commanding Royal Naval Division.

So this looks like he was recommended for the D.C.M. but did not get it....nothing strange there, this happened all the time.....but what is strange, I found in the local Parish Council minute book, a reference under the sub-title D.C.M. AWARD....the entry then goes on to say, about how that the Parish council and the village has now received official conformation from the war office for the award of the D.C.M. to Matthew Convery, the Parish council will now set things in motion for celebrations for his award within the village.

Any pointers or thoughts gratefully received

John.

Possibly a DSM???

Possibly a DSM???

Thanks Harry never gave the DSM A thought....just checked for the DSM for this peirod....can not find him...but the lads below might be on intrest to some other Pals

John

Gazetted: 13 September, 1915.

Approved for services in the Gallipoli Peninsula:

Stoker, 1st Class, John Ball, O.N. S.S. 106195, Howe Battalion.

Stoker Edwin Brown, O.K. 211837, Nelson Battalion.

Chief Petty Officer William Carnall, 3/116 T, Hood Battalion . (now Sub-Lieutenant

R.N.V.R.).

Able Seaman James Carroll, Clyde 4/2550, Anson Battalion.

Able Seaman John Evans, Clyde 3/2229, Anson- Battalion.

Able Seaman William Joseph Gillam, Sussex Z/82, Hood Battalion.

Chief Petty Officer Andrew Hempsead, Clyde /I/885, Collingwood Battalion.

Petty Officer John Kirkcaldy, P/222473.

Petty Officer David J. Greene, P/230378.

Petty Officer Robert Denyer, K.X. 467, Hood Battalion.

Petty Officer John McGrath, Clyde 1/1616, Nelson Battalion.

Able Seaman Patrick McKeown, Clyde 4/2332, Hood Battalion.

Leading Seaman John McNeilage Mclntyre, Clyde 5/2412, Anson Battalion.

Petty Officer Harold W. Smith, O.N. 176120, Howe Battalion.

Leading- Seaman Douglas Albert Stewart, Clyde 1/2473, Hood Battalion.

Gazetted: 19 November, 1915.

Approved for services in the Gallipoli Peninsula:

Petty Officer E. H. Jennings, Chatham 301908, Hood Battalion.

Signalman Edward John Jones, R.N.V.R., O.N. Mersey 7/161.

Ordinary Seaman A. Leighton, R.N.V.R., O.N.K.P./924, Anson Battalion.

Leading Seaman W. Montgomery, R.N.V.R., O.N.Z/216/C, Howe Battalion.

R.N. Petty Officer W. Nadin, O.N.K.P./12, Hawke Battalion.

Bugler R. D. Skelton, O.N.T1/157, Drake Battalion.

Chief Petty Officer C. Woodford, O.N.Z/70/B, Collingwood Battalion.

Ordinary Seaman C. Yates, O.N.K.P./187, Hawke Battalion.

Quote: RECOMMENDED FOR D.C.M.

Petty Officer M. Convery, of Sherburn has written to his wife, who lives in Hope Street, Sherburn, informing her that he has been recommended for the D.C.M.., and enclosing in the letter a certificate which reads; "This is to certify that No. KX 162, Petty Officer Matthew Convery, of the Home Battery, Royal Naval Division, behaved in a gallant and courageous manner in action on the 17th. 18th. 21st and 22nd October, 1915 at Cape Helles,---- Signed A. Parish, C.B. Major-General commanding Royal Naval Division.

John,

Regarding the newspaper article, there are some spelling mistakes

KX 162 M Convery RNVR was a member of the Howe Battalion RND and not the Home Battery. Convery is certainly listed by Fevyer & Wilson under the Howe Batt as regards his entitlement to the 1914 Star delivered to him 14 Feb 1920

His KX prefix suggests that he originally volunteered for the army but was transferred to the RNVR almost immediately. John Morcombe notes that there were KX nos 1-566 with most of the men coming from either Durham or Tyneside

The name of the commanding officer concerned was not Parish,

but General Sir Archibald Paris

Sorry that I cannot add anything regarding an award

Regards

Michael D.R.

Regarding the newspaper article, there are some spelling mistakes

KX 162 M Convery RNVR was a member of the Howe Battalion RND and not the Home Battery.

Regards

Michael D.R.

Thanks Michael.....you are correct regards Convery and Howe Bn., ....I have just checked the 1918 absent voters list....his details there are...Convery, Matthew KX162 R.N.D., Howe Batt....With regards to the spelling of Parish instead of Paris....That was my spelling mistake not the newspapers...oops!!...thanks for giveing me the details about him volunteering for the army first and his 1914 star…it all helps to build a more complete picture for him.

John