Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PIN series at the NA

Coldstreamer

Hello

Any one know what sort of soldier is covered in the PIN series of papers at the NA ?

Ian

Hi Ian,

The PIN series contains the papers of some servicemen who were awarded a Pension or Gratuity as a result of wounds or injuries received whilst in service.

I recently researched a serviceman for someone and found his pension papers amongst this series. The poor guy had been kicked by an Artillery Horse in the stomach, groin & chest. This was at Vimy Ridge. His injuries were pretty nasty and he couldnt take a pee for weeks. He survived the assault, and the war, and was given 11 shillings a week for a year, for his troubles.

The series does not contain every pensioned servicemans papers but has a good selection and is well worth looking at. You can glean some very good info from the files.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON

And it's very handy for finding Boer War soldiers who were invalided out but don't appear on the published casualty rolls. ;)

I have heard reports of files on some men of over 200 pages in length.

Matthew

I recently found some papers in PIN/82 relating to a soldier who was killed in action in 1918. They give brief details of his wife and dependants (Dates of marriage, births etc).

Regards

Gavin

:) Hello,

Is it probable that if a chap was disabled by wounds he would receive a pension, for example, if he lost a leg and therefore could not return to his civil occupation ? I've hit a bit of a wall with some research, the mans service papers did not survive, but I know he died in 1936, one of the reasons given for his death is his ''war wounds''. A member of the family told me he had lost his leg in the war.

Regards,

Stewart

Sounds useful to me... how do you access them? So I have an idea of what to do next time at the NA

Cheers

John

PIN 82 is very useful as it contains examples of the pension award form WF 25. It is a 1 page form which contains useful biographic info such as names and ages of children, NOK address etc.

See this thread for example of the form. There are about 180 files each containing forms relating to about 60 men. It is only a sample of all pensions that were awarded.

It is useful for those of you building unit databases as you can search it by regiment on PROCAT. I am currently working all the London regiment men listed.

Hello

Thanks for the comments - I have only ever found one man I was looking for - but got pages and pages of info on him

Last time I used it searching for "my" regiment didnt really do alot so will have another look

Regards

Ian

Will definitiely have a look at the entries... this would be good for those who came back as well?

john

Hello Charles

You say the PIN series is searchable by Regiment. Could you explain how that is done? I assume that you can then access information for individuals?

Grant

You say the PIN series is searchable by Regiment. Could you explain how that is done? I assume that you can then access information for individuals?

Grant - In my post I only meant that PIN 82 is searchable by regiment. You need to:

1. go to the search form for PROCAT

2. in the box "Department or Series code" enter PIN 82

3. in the box "Word or Phrase" enter the regiment - e.g. "London" or "Sussex"

you should get a number of hits e.g. the 644 for London: click here for seacrh for "London" in PIN 82. It gives a list of names with reason for pension award.

You will then have to order the relevant file if you want to see more.

Charles

"Disability: Killed in action", some disability that.

Thanks for the info Charles; you've just welded me to the laptop for another few weeks.

Thanks for the info Charles; you've just welded me to the laptop for another few weeks.

Pleased to be of use. Hope to get into some of the other PIN classes at some point. I am currently going through all the 644 Londons listed in the search above looking for 19th London men. I need another three days in the PRO to finish this off, but will post a spreadsheet with my findings.

Charles

Hello

644! Thats a result - the Cold Gds got 31 mentions - the one I have found (Iggleden) was not shown as CG and only found him due to the unusual name

Ian