Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre War service

simon2

Afternoon all,

Could anyone point me in the right direction to find out more about RN ships pre-war what types and where they travelled. My GGG served in the RN between 1902 and 1909 when he was invalided out. Why I do not know but he did later go on to serve with the 6th Gloucesters in 1915.

I have his service papers but they are very hard to decipher and at times unreadable altogether. The parts I can read are:-

Impregnable Apr 02 - May 02

Lion May 02 - Feb 03

Lion Feb 03 - Oct 03

Next one unreadable

Empress of India Nov 03 - May 04

Empress of India May 04 - Feb 05

Hannibal Feb 05 - Jun 05

Hannibal Jun 05 - Aug 05

Vivid Aug 05 - Jan 07

Hyacinth Jan 07 - Mar 07

Last one until Jun 09 unreadable But may be Peasues?

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

The last entry could be PEGASUS Simon.

I need to view his SR tho & perhaps I can help you 'translate' some of them.

EMPRESS of INDIA was a pre dreadnought Battleship of May 1891. She was sunk as a target ship in Nov '13.

HANNIBAL also a Battleship of Apl '96 & sold in Jan '20

HYACINTH a 2nd class Cruiser of Oct '98, & sold in Oct '23.

The others are training ships or bases,

Bryan

Bryan,

Many thanks,

I'll scan the SR in the morning and post it or PM. I would do it know but it's getting late and me and technology this time in the evening does not mix.

Regards,

Simon.

Hi Simon,

Impregnable Apr 02 - May 02 Boy’s Training ship Devonport

Lion May 02 - Feb 03 2nd Rate Training ship, Devonport . Sold Portsmouth 11/07/1905!

Lion Feb 03 - Oct 03

Empress of India Nov 03 - May 04

Empress of India May 04 - Feb 05

September 02-May 04 Home Fleet and then private ship until toFebruary 05. Then commissioned in Reserve before going for refit at Devonport

Hannibal Feb 05 - Jun 05 - Channel

Hannibal Jun 05 - Aug 05 - Paid off Devonport. [underwent large refit June-November 06]

Vivid Aug 05 - Jan 07 Base ship, Devonport.

Hyacinth Jan 07 - Mar 07 Flagship, East Indies 1907-11

Last one until Jun 09 unreadable But may be Peasues?

Could it be :

Pegasus? If so she was stationed in Australia from 1905-12!

Or there is:

Perseus? which served East Indies 1901-13!

Regards

Arthur

Good afternoon,

Thanks again Bryan and Arthur for you contributions.

I have scanned the service record I have. Only the page with ships lists but I also downloaded from NA his service record they have. I wasn't aware they held anything and I believe one entry was Agincourt but you will see on the scan there is a word in front. Hopefully the last entry can be clarified and I found out that he was invalided out in 1909 with TB.

I have saved the link and will use that as I will be constructing a model of one of the ships he done service on.

I am also in awe of the knowledge that members have as I have not had a post yet that has not ben cleared up.

Regards,

Simon.

P.S. the attachment is to large so I will post seperately.

Hopefully the attachment !!!!!

Tell a lie I cannot seem to reduce the attachment size to upload. So I will PM the image.

Thanks,

Simon.

Hyacynth qualified for the Africa General Service with Somaliland 1908-10, too bad he missed out; so did Proserpine - Dew not on the Fevyer list.

Pelorus, Perseus, and Royal Indian Marine Palihurus, all qualified for Naval General Service: Persian Gulf 1909-1914, was the last ship any of those? I haven't got a round tuit for the NGS roll yet. If no one has it, you should check out the medal roll at Kew in ADM 171/62, he may have been aboard.

ADM 171/62 Naval General Service Medal: clasp for Persian Gulf 1909-1914; clasp for Iraq 1919-1920; clasp for North West Persia 1920

Good morning,

Thanks for the last reply. I originally thought that it could be Perseus but not sure.

A kind member blew it up and I will post it for interpretation.

As he was invalided out in 1909 June with TB I don't think he would have qualified fot the NGS.

Still worth a look though.

post-5914-1143197408.jpg

Many thanks,

Simon.

I would say it appears to be PERSEUS.

She qualified for the AGS medal (Somaliland '02-'04 clasp) for the periods: 27 Apl - 9 Oct '02, & 4 Dec - 4 Mar '03, & 7 Nov - 19 Mar '04.

Bryan