Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

quintinshill

Guest kenneth mcarthur

Guest kenneth mcarthur

my apologies if i've posted in the wrong section,Can anyone tell me where I might find a casualty list(if such a thing exists)from the quintinhill diaster in 1915

many thanks

alex

Alex,

When this question cropped-up previously our Pal Malcolm suggested a search of the Scottish National War Memorial web site http://www.snwm.org/website/frames.html

using only the date. This throws up 270+ casualties for the date of the rail crash and from these you should be able to identify those killed at Quintinshill

Also see the book reviews section here on the G W F regarding Gordon L. Routledge’s book ‘The Sorrows of Quintinshill’ for info on the crash [but no casualty list]

regards

Michael D.R.

Alex, If you use the search facility(all forums) you will get quite a large section of posts on Quintinshill. I think most of the casualties were buried in Rosebank Cemetery Edinburgh, where a Memorial Cross was also erected.

Maybe you can get a start there.

Guest kenneth mcarthur
Alex, If you use the search facility(all forums) you will get quite a large section of posts on Quintinshill. I think most of the casualties were buried in Rosebank Cemetery Edinburgh, where a Memorial Cross was also erected.

Maybe you can get a start there.

Hi ,many thanks guys' ,I did try the search facility this morning but after a few seconds it appeared to crash....,I will follow your suggestions and maybe try the search again later

very best regards,

alex

Guest kenneth mcarthur
Alex,

You have to put the date in as 22/05/1915

[And NOT as I did earlier too 22/05/15]

Good luck

Michael D.R.

Michael many thanks ,I have found the relation of mine I was looking for.......cheers!

alex

Try contacting The Scottish Genealogy Society, whose library is at 15 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh. I understand that they were producing a piece of work about the 210 officers and men who died in what is still Britain's worst ever railway disaster.

Guest kenneth mcarthur
Try contacting The Scottish Genealogy Society, whose library is at 15 Victoria Terrace, Edinburgh. I understand that they were producing a piece of work about the 210 officers and men who died in what is still Britain's worst ever railway disaster.

cheers pal! ...i will do that.....meantime any idea if there is a list of Survivors?

regards

alex

Hi ,many thanks guys' ,I did try the search facility this morning but after a few seconds it appeared to crash....,I will follow your suggestions and maybe try the search again later

It crashed on me too Alex, probably about the same time :rolleyes:

cheers pal! ...i will do that.....meantime any idea if there is a list of Survivors?

regards

alex

No idea about survisors, sorry.

I have succesfuly searched the Scottish National War Memorial and found 271 casualties for 22.5.15, so the site is working, at least some of the time. Also the cwgc site lists all war casualties buried at Rosebank. The Memorial Ground of the (otherwise civilan) cemetery contains 270 burials from WW1 and 36 from WW2. Its a fairly easy (if time consuming) job to identify the Quintinshill casualties as they are all from 1st/7th Royal Scots.

Guest kenneth mcarthur
No idea about survisors, sorry.

I have succesfuly searched the Scottish National War Memorial and found 271 casualties for 22.5.15, so the site is working, at least some of the time. Also the cwgc site lists all war casualties buried at Rosebank. The Memorial Ground of the (otherwise civilan) cemetery contains 270 burials from WW1 and 36 from WW2. Its a fairly easy (if time consuming) job to identify the Quintinshill casualties as they are all from 1st/7th Royal Scots.

jimothy ,many thanks again....will keep searching for the survivors

regards,

alex

Guest kenneth mcarthur
jimothy ,many thanks again....will keep searching for the survivors

regards,

alex

MALCOLM many thanks for the above link......checked all the names but could not find my relative who survived?but thanks anyway( it's a very good site)

regards,

alex