Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter Bloem's Great War Trilogy

Paul Hederer

Morning,

I was searching through the forum archives and saw some posts concerning a possible translation of Walter Bloem's Great War trilogy.

Some forum members may be familiar with the first part of this work, which was translated as, "The Advance from Mons."

Any news, updates on this project? The posts I read were from almost two years ago...

Paul

Hello Paul,

I haven't heard of any further progress. "The Advance from Mons" is available in a fairly recent edition but it isn't a new translation. It's a reprint of the 1930s edition.

Tom

What would the trilogy cover? Did he recover from his wounds in 1914 to participate further in the war?? I certainly enjoyed the Advance from Mons.

What would the trilogy cover? Did he recover from his wounds in 1914 to participate further in the war?? I certainly enjoyed the Advance from Mons.

It would seem that he did see some frontline service after recovering. I can't say what exactly, but I know he was at Verdun as a company commander.

Paul

The link is ok when I checked, but I guess you could access the axishistory forum and search for Bloem.

Regards

David

The link is ok when I checked, but I guess you could access the axishistory forum and search for Bloem.

Regards

David

Thanks David, I'll check it later.

I just checked my 570 page version from 1939. The trilogy is

1. Vormarsch

2. Sturmsignal

3. Das Ganze -Halt

Walter Bloem made it through the war, last position as Bn Cdr.

March 24, 1918 he was seriously wounded at Morchain - that was the end of his active military career.

The book ends with him to be carried away by stretcher bearers. The last page starts with full respect for the English enemy:" The English are tough boys"

The last 4 lines in his book are as follows:

Front-line soldier I have been.

Soldier that i stay.

I was given a second weapon. (he means the pen as the weapon of a writer/author)

With that I shall continue fighting - for Germany - until my last breath.