Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Haines RFA - Medal Card - Is it him?

anniezooney

My grandfather was Edward Haines, DOB 1874 born Westbury, Wiltshire.

He was in the army in India in the 1890's for about 10 years (another problem for me is trying to find out which regiment in served in!) and as a result was called up early to serve in WW1. He served for the duration of the war. My mother is sure he was at Mons and she knows at some part of the war he was in Ireland. The only thing I have of my grandfather is a photograph of him in uniform. I can make out the letters RFA and he has one stripe on his arm, I am unable to make out the cap badge. My grandfather always worked with horses and mum thinks he was connected with horses during the war.

I have a medal card showing Edward Haines with a regiment number of 96858. The medals show Victory, British and Star, with and entry to war 18.1.15 which from reading the information on this site means he entered the war early on.

Can anyone help me establish this is my grandfather's medal card? Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Annie

Annie, the only way you can be sure is to see if his service record still exists. That would tie up his personal details with the regimental number and date you have.