The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Patrick H

Do any Pals have any info to help me on the above. I have his cwgc details

died 21.06.1915

Service No S/429

Cemetery Boulogne Eastern Cemetery

I will be visiting France and Belgium shortly taking a descendent of the above with me to visit his grave. Would be great to have some background.

Thanks in advance

Patrick

Hi Patrick

I have a copy of the 2nd Btn Buffs War Diary for June 1915 if that helps.

Other months from 1915 are available to download from documents online at the National Archives (ref WO/35/2279).

If you send me a private message with your email address, I can send you the pdf file.

Linda

Hi Patrick

I have a copy of the 2nd Btn Buffs War Diary for June 1915 if that helps.

Other months from 1915 are available to download from documents online at the National Archives (ref WO/35/2279).

If you send me a private message with your email address, I can send you the pdf file.

Linda

Linda

have pm'd you. Thanks for information

Patrick

Patrick

This one caused some confusion. Every list I have states his name as Tunnicliffe. The 1914/15 Star roll lists his service number as G/429 which would indicate a New Army man. This is wrong because every other source has him as S/429. The number G/429 was allocated to someone else.

He was a Special Reservist with a number that indicates a Sept 1914 enlistment. Special Reserve numbers are confusing in the Buffs because you find men with 5 figure numbers who were pre war enlistments. It appears that they started at 1 again when war broke out.

There is more confusion in the 1914/15 star roll. It states that he died of wounds on 14/10/1915. This contradicts every other source. The roll states that he went overseas on 6/3/1915. This may be true but given the rest of the info on the roll you may want to be cautious with this. 151 other Buffs went on this draft which is the first big draft after the 1st and 2nd Battalions went over. 89 of these men were dead by the end of the war. Another 28 had been discharged with wounds/sickness, etc.

The VM/BWM roll states that he only served with the 2nd Battalion.

SDGW states that he was born in West Ham and was living in Islington when he died.

Linda

The date in your signature for the death of Frederick Higgs contradicts my other sources. I have three sources which state that he was killed on 28/5/1915. I appears that the Germans were firing whizz bangs trying to get a British sniper on that day. He had been overseas since 27/4/1915 when he arrived with a draft of 49 men, 20 of whom were dead by the end of the war and a further 8 had been discharged with wounds, etc

I hope this all helps

Mick Mills

Mick thanks for that - sounds confusing.

He is not one of the men I am currently researching but a relative of a friend. I will try and get some more positive information.

Linda, received your email thanks for your help

Patrick