Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. 1746 Hugh Nolan

cliffcole

Hi All,

I'm looking for any information regarding Pte.

Hugh Nolan KIA at Cerizy 27th August 1914.

Does anyone have any idea of the possible circumstances of his death? There were a number of Cavalry charges during the retreat from Mons.Would there be any records to confirm whether he fell in one of these?

His MIC card is very sketchy and even omits to mention that he was killed. It also states that he was awarded the Victory and British medals. Why not the Mons Star? He was part of the BEF and would surely be entitled.

He is commemorated but unfortunately there is no known grave, presumably due to the retreat.

Grateful for any assistance,

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Have you tried the regimental museum of the 9th/12th Lancers in Derby? The curator is Viv Rudd and she may be able to help.

I have had a look in the History of the XII Royal Lancers by Captain PF Stewart and there is no mention of events on the 27th.

I have a particular interest in the regiment - my grandfather served between 1926 - 32 and again 1939 - 45.

Liam

Hello Cliff,

Sorry I can't be of help with your rquest but I was curious about the name, thinking he might have been from Dublin and came up with this little bit of information.

Hugh Nolan. ID S3614

Rank. Private No. 1746

Born. St. Laurence, Dublin

Resided. Dublin

Enlisted. Dublin

Bat. 12th. Lancers

KIA 28th. August 1914 France & Flanders

You may have this information already, however, the date of his death is given as the 28th.

Regards,

Ken

Hello Cliff,

Sorry I can't be of help with your rquest but I was curious about the name, thinking he might have been from Dublin and came up with this little bit of information.

Hugh Nolan. ID S3614

Rank. Private No. 1746

Born. St. Laurence, Dublin

Resided. Dublin

Enlisted. Dublin

Bat. 12th. Lancers

KIA 28th. August 1914 France & Flanders

You may have this information already, however, the date of his death is given as the 28th.

Regards,

Ken

Thanks Ken,

Yes, according to his family he was from Dublin so this is good confirmation.

I am still puzzled as to why he was not awarded the Mons Star.

We will contact the Regimental Museum as Liam suggests,(thanks Liam), and see if they have anything in the diaries regarding his death.

Regards,

Cliff