Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/8th Middlesex at Gommecourt

tim.everett

Can anybody shed any light on the role of the 1/8th Middlesex during the attack on Gommecourt, 1st July 1916. They are listed in the order of battle as being part of the 56th London Division and I have since discovered they they were part of the reserve during the attack.

Did they actually go over the top? What casualties did they suffer?

I'm trying to trace the details of my Great Grandfather Edward James Richardson who is listed as being an acting Sergeant in the 1/8th. Specifically I'm trying to find out if he was wounded in this action as he was transferred to the Labour Corps in 1917 which was normally the precedure if a soldier was fit to work but not fit for front line service.

Thanks

The 1/8th Middlesex did not attack on 1st July being the reserve battalion of the reserve brigade (167th). They had been in the front line from 21st-27th June suffering heavy casualties in appalling weather.

During this time they lost 207 officers and men. Of these 119 were wounded (including 3 officers), 25 were dead or missing believed dead and 63 had been evacuated sick, mostly suffering from trench foot.

On the 27th they went into billets in Henu and Souastre. On 1st July they were moved up late in the day (about 4pm) and they took over the trenches of The Rangers late in the evening.

They lost 12 men killed during the continued bombardment laid down on the British trenches by the German artillery. Most of them are recorded on the Thiepval Memorial.

The 1/8th Middlesex did not attack on 1st July being the reserve battalion of the reserve brigade (167th). They had been in the front line from 21st-27th June suffering heavy casualties in appalling weather.

During this time they lost 207 officers and men. Of these 119 were wounded (including 3 officers), 25 were dead or missing believed dead and 63 had been evacuated sick, mostly suffering from trench foot.

On the 27th they went into billets in Henu and Souastre. On 1st July they were moved up late in the day (about 4pm) and they took over the trenches of The Rangers late in the evening.

They lost 12 men killed during the continued bombardment laid down on the British trenches by the German artillery. Most of them are recorded on the Thiepval Memorial.

Thanks very much