Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Story behind the song

Bombadier

What is the story behind the song Hymne (or chanson) de Craonne (sp?) used in the Show "It's a lovely war"? I believe that all the music used in it was authentic.

Adieu la vie, adieu l'amour, adieu a toutes les femmes

C'est bien fini, c'est pour toujours, de cette geurre infame

C'est a Craonne, sur le plateau, qu'ils one laisse leurs pauvres

Car il sont tous condamnes

Ce sont les sacrifies.

There then follows the sound of sheep bleating.

Apologies for my French spelling and grammar (and lack of accents!)

Nigel Deacon

Spelling is correct. Craonne is a village on the slopes of the Aisne valley, on the Chemin des Dames. Fought over by the French and German armies particularly in 1914 and 1917, but also in earlier times.

Bomadier

The sound of bleating sheep is more often than not associated with French troops moving in and out of the Verdun along the Voie Sacree during the battle, an indication that they knew what was in store for them, and their cynicism. No doubt that this followed the troops to the Chemin des Dames as well.

Incidentally, I have a version of " La Chanson de Craonne" on the CD; La Grande Guerre en Chansons, which does not have the bleating. Indeed, the number, accompanied by accordion, comes across as bitter-sweet rather than cynical although this, like many other WW1 songs from any nation, is likely to have been adapted.

Terry Reeves

A little bit about the background and the full text can be found in Claude Ribouillault's book La Musique au Fusil (Publisher: Rodez, éditions du Rouergue, 1996) - a beautifully illustrated book.

Martin

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't know that there were verses and I only had the chorus.

Reading the full words shows the true feelings of the author, and probably his comrades. It's a pity that he is unknown as he is, in my humble opinion, on a par with the well known war poets. (I don't mean this as a cue to start a great discussion, but who knows what will happen <_< .)

I was also pleased to see that my attempt at the words was fairly accurate. Not bad as I transcribed it from a recording.

Nigel Deacon