Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorks Regt

cobber

I'm trying to do a bit of research on my Grandad, Frederick Humphreys. All I know is he served with this Regt as a Private during The Great War. He claimed to be a cook and at some time he was billeted in Bodmin. My efforts so far show only 2 FHs (no middle name) - one with KOYLI and one with W. Riding Regt.

We have one photo which appears to show his cap badge and shoulder badge as W Yorks.

Has anyone researched this area and revealed which batallion were in Bodmin.

Yes he survived the war and we wonder if he ever reached the front. All help would be appreciated.

Cobber K

Hi

Could this be your man ?

MIC entry

1326 LCpl Frederick J Humphrey Manchester Regiment

also served as 59097 LCpl East Yorks and 4338616 Serjeant West Yorks

Peter

Keith

Could you post the photo? it could help to i.d the regiment.

As been a cook it could well be as my own Grandfather after the War was over, was in May 1919 was attached to theN.A.C.B national army catering board as the colour sergt, i was told it was like a job for the boys.

Regards Kevin

Hi

Could this be your man ?

MIC entry

1326 LCpl Frederick J Humphrey Manchester Regiment

also served as 59097 LCpl East Yorks and 4338616 Serjeant West Yorks

Peter

Thanks for your efforts but I'm afraid that's not him. His daughter (my Mum) assures me that he had just the forename of Frederick; also the surname has the letter s at the end.

We have a post-war birth certificate of one of his sons which shows his status as "formerly Private W. Yorks Regt."

Thanks again for trying to help.

Cobber K

Keith

Could you post the photo? it could help to i.d the regiment.

As been a cook it could well be as my own Grandfather after the War was over, was in May 1919 was attached to theN.A.C.B national army catering board as the colour sergt, i was told it was like a job for the boys.

Regards Kevin

Thanks for your reply Kevin. I've not had a computer very long and I'm a slow learner.

I'll get a photo scanned in and will message you again when I figure out how to make the attachment.

I've learnt how to do it at work but I can't find the relevant icon at the mo.

Keith