Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfather was in 3rd Lincolns?

Jimothy

I have recently uncovered some paperwork from 1995. I have a letter from the Ministry of Defence written to my late father in 1995. Seemingly my grandfather's (John Henry Britcliffe, of Wrawby) service number was 20936 and he served in C company, 3rd battalion, the Lincolnshire Regiment. Unfortunately the MOD letter states that my Grandfather's service record must have been destroyed by enemy air action in 1940

Research on the net tells me that the 3rd battallion never left the UK until 1918 when it was mobilized to Ireland. I know that my grandfather was in the RFC in 1917, and that he was definitely in France.

This is the total hard evidence that I have. I cannot find any mention whatsoever of my grandfather in the medal rolls.

There is anecdotal evidence to suggest that my grandfather saw action on the Somme with the Lincoln's, and also to suggest that he saw action with the Lincoln's in Belgium.

Can anyone suggest where I might look next? My grandfather survived the war, so the CWGC cannot help. I have already asked my surviving uncles, but they can add nothing to what I know already, and they do not recall ever seeing any medals.

Can we have a name for your grandad please ? Do you or a family member have his medals??

If he was in France & Belgium he must have medals perhaps we can find him due to much practice.

Roop

It was possible for someone in the 3rd Lincolns to be attached to another battalion, for example the 8th Lincolns. I'm not sure that a permanent record would survive though; the example I know of was discovered because he was kia.

Can we have a name for your grandad please ? Do you or a family member have his medals??

Roop

Yes, his name was John Henry Britcliffe. I have asked around the family and there is no trace of any medals.