Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Fusiliers London Regiment

Julie Kelly

;) Attached is a certificate for my grandfather Frederick Willis it states the regiment as 718th London Regt. London Irish. I would like to find details of the regiment or hat badge and the whereabouts of the regiment during WW1. Any help appreciated.

Regiment would be 18th County of London Regiment The London Irish Rifles. Battalion would be 1/18th, 2/18th or 3/18th.

Ist and 2nd battalions served overseas, 3rd battalion stayed in UK to provide drafts for the two serving abroad.

If you can confirm the battalion I am sure somebody will be able to give you the details of where they served. Welcome to the forum.

Squirel,

Thanks for that. I have looked again at the certificate and it could be ?/18th but cannot read it. At the top it gives the regiment number as 52056, does this mean anything to anybody? Julie

The National Archive have a medal card for Frederick Willis no 52056 Royal Irish Fusiliers card ref WO372/21.

You would have to download the card, if you havn't done so already, cost £3-50, to see if there are details of him serving with the 18th County of London Regiment, London Irish Rifles. Finding his service record there (if it survives) would also show which regiments he served with and the battalion diaries would show where he served. It is possible that he served with more than one regiment. Any chance of posting the certificate so that we can have a look at it?

Squirrel,

I am going to try to attach the certificate. I have tried before with no success but here goes. I have reduced the image but it still won't let me attach it. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Julie

Squirrel,

I think I will have to give up with this one. Whenever I try to attach it (whatever size I make it) it comes up the total space required to uupload exceeds per post limit. I don't understand why it won't let me do this so I am unable to post it anywhere for anyone to look at. Totally fed up Julie

Hi Julie.

The London Irish Rifles are currently based in Flodden Road, Camberwell, London I believe as part of the now London regt. A quick search via any search engine under either 'London Regt' or 'London Irish Rifles' will get you there.

They will have someone responsible for regiments history, as most TA units do nowadays.

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for that. Julie