Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th West Riding Regiment

bigronhartley

Hello,

This is a second call for help. I am currently trying to collect information about the 7th Battalion West Riding Regiment with a view to producing a record or book about the men and their experiences. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who has an interest or might be willing to contribute information/photographs for inclusion. I would be particularly interested to hear about soldiers (Officers and O/Rs) who were wounded, became casualties, or were awarded medals/decorations and/or have an interesting story. If you are interested, want to exchange information or think you might have anything to contribute please contact me. Thanks.

Regards,

Ron

We have a lot of DWR casualties from Otley - I'll post any 7th btn. ones up that I come across - bear with me, up to my eyes with the English Civil War at the moment.

Hello Simon,

Thanks for your offer. On the subject of DWR casualties from Otley, I saw two 1915 Trios being offered for sale recently. They were brothers, by the name of Simpson l think, one was 2/5th and the other 9th btn.

Regards

Ron

I was looking at the Colne Valley Guardian today. It is well photographed and easy to read, (for a microfilm copy). The casualties from the area are neatly kept together, and much easier to find than in the other local papers. Obviously not all are from the 1st 7th but a good number will be, especially from the early years.

I was told there is a book in the library containing information from the Colne Valley Guardian Roll of Honour, but I have not seen it. But if you ring the Local History Reference Library at Huddersfield I am sure they can tell you what is available. - 01484 221965 - or email - hudlib.localhistory@kirklees.gov.uk

I think about half the men in the battalion were from the Lancashire towns at the other end of the Standedge tunnel from the Colne Valley. I saw a complaint in the paper a few years ago about a fertiliser factory working next to the Colne Valley Cemetery in Belgium, I had a quick look at the names of the men buried there and I remember that there were surprisingly few Colne Valley men in the Colne Valley Cemetery.

The Colne Valley Guardian for 1914 contains the story of the Colne Valley Boot Fund, when the Colonel of the 1st 7th Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment went out and bought boots for his battalion, and the local people started a collection to get him his money back. No doubt there will be other such tales and plenty of letters from the troops.

Well worth a look if you get a chance. The Drill Hall at Huddersfield is reputed to hold a collection of photographs but it was the 1st 5th Battalions base, whether they have any from the 1st 7th I do not know. The Drill Hall at Milnsbridge (7th Battalion) is now a private house that was recently reported to be opening part of the hall to the public as the Bullecourt Museum. I have included a link which has a bit of information and contact details.

Drill Hall

Tony.

Hello Tony,

Thanks very much for your helpful comments and the links/contact details. From your perusal of the local newspapers, can you recall if you spotted any recruit lists. I'm trying to establish a nominal roll. Are you just interested in casualties or anyone who served from Holmfirth ?

Regards

Ron

The only list I have seen so far is a list of Holmfirth’s volunteers published just before conscription was introduced, but I will keep a look out for any published lists.

I am interested in all Holmfirth people during the war, I want to build up a picture of what was going on both at home and at the front.

Tony.

Where were these medals advertised? I've only ever come across 1 Otley group for sale before!

The two 7th btn. DWR casualties we have are:

Downing, Arthur. Pte. 205103

Born Leeds, enlisted otley

KIA Oct. 11th 1918

Buried Wellington Cemy. Cambrai Nord. 1.E.8 (same cemy. as George Bowman, also from Otley).

Widow and two children living in Cross Green, Otley.

Previously employed at Messrs. Hellewells.

Good description of the attack to East of la Selle River in Bales, P.G. 1920 History of 4th btn. DWR.

Mudd, Edgar, Pte. 5581

Born Otley, Enlisted Otley

Died aged 21 on 3rd July 1916 @ Thiepval, appears on memorial to the missing.

Son of George and Dorothy Mudd, 47 Boroughgate, Otley.

-relieved 1/5th WY in trenches Thiepval Sector on July 2nd. Tour of duty included work on new trenches near Oblong Wood. When relieved on Aug. 19th had been in the line for seven weeks without a break suffering about 350 casualties.

-platoon officer wrote 'your son was killed by a shell instantanteously along with tow others during a very heavy bombardment'.

-brother Archie Hugh Mudd, Pte. 43729, 15th btn. WY regt.

-kia aged 29, enlisted Otley, born Otley, previously employed as overlooker in the weaving shed @ Duncan, Barraclough and Co.

-to France July 1916, wounded Oct. 1916

-KIA June 28th 1918.