Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regulars to reservists

dorrie

Would all regular soldiers having done their "time" be required to be on the reserve list? If so how long for or did this vary? I am looking to before the out break of hostilities in 1914? Would they have been required to report to barracks once a yera or did that vary/

thanks

Dorrie

Most soldiers of Line Infantry enlisted to serve 7 yrs in uniform ['with the colours'] and 5 on the reserve. This reserve service was paid, at half pay, every quarter. There were restrictions on emigration, but they were not normally required to retrain annually. They were, however, totally liable for recall at general mobilisation. Mobilisation stores held a complete set of kit for them, including boots, nominally of the right size. Reserve service, which could be extended voluntarily [but not after a break] was money for old rope until the telegrams arrived and the posters went up.

A soldier who had signed on for longer, or who did all 12 years with the colours, had no reserve liability as such. He was, of course, conscriptable.

As suggested in a previous thread I did a search on 'Special Reserve' and came up with lots of good stuff - also the information on the main site was very helpful - many thanks for this.

However I have a few more related questions to the reserve topic which are:

1. I understand that the 'normal' term of engagement was 12 years with 7 in the colours 5 in the reserve - was this fixed e.g. could a soldier serve the full 12 in the colours. If so what determined this - personnal choice, reaching a certain rank etc. ?

2. Presumbly some SNCOs and Warrant Officers served beyond the 12 years - is this the case and again what determined this ?

3. If an ex-regular joined the Special Reserve and thus got an 3/1234 number was this in anyway related to the previous regular number e.g. was the 1234 'bit' the same or different between the two ? (A previous thread sugested that they were different.)

Thanks Austen

using your numbers:

1. a soldier could opt to serve all 12, but at CO's discretion.

2. Not just senior soldiers. Again, the CO decided. The carrot was the pension.

3. No, new number issued in the SR battalion's sequence. I have examples that prove this, but it was in the regulations too.

using your numbers:

The carrot was the pension.

Grumpy

Thanks for this. Being a bit thick but just to make sure the pension was payable after 12 years in the colours ?

Austen

No. Usually 21 years but there were some exceptions made at 18 years if a soldier was unfit for further service. A soldier could serve longer, if he remained acceptable.

No. Usually 21 years but there were some exceptions made at 18 years if a soldier was unfit for further service. A soldier could serve longer, if he remained acceptable.

Thanks again - I think I understand (for now !)

Austen

Thanks for the help and it would apaer that Austen gained some valuable answers to his questions. Once again members come up trumps

Cheers

Dorrie