Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LEINSTER REGIMENT 1916

llysfaen

I am researching my family tree, and would dearly wish to add detail to my grandfather, Pte William Howlett, Leinster Regiment, Regimental No. 8495.

According to my mother's best recall, my grandmother received a letter 10 days after their wedding, stating that he was wounded in France and had sadly had a leg amputated.

He died 10 years later, almost to the day of his wedding, aged 34.

I have found his Medal Card online, and thoroughly digested this site's wonderful information upon interpretation of Medal Card information.

However, I remain perplexed on two issues.

1. What battallion/regiment/corps or such he was in when he was wounded?

2. Where exactly was he fighting when he was wounded?

He was married in Liverpool as Lance Corporal William Howlett on 14th January 1916.

Therefore, if mother's memory is accurate, he was wounded between 14th-24th January 1916.

Mother recalls him saying that he went 'over the top', inferring infantry, and that a French soldier had pulled him clear from sniper fire.

The sniper was shooting him, hitting him in the legs.

She cannot guarantee the accuracy of these facts, but is confident that they are indeed accurate.

I have read and re-read this site's excellent sections on the Regiments and actions, but cannot fathom the above questions.

As I am wheelchair/housebound, I am unable to go to Kew to peruse records, so am hopeful that those here might be able to shed some light upon these questions.

I enclose an attachment of his Medal Card.

Thank you for your interest and assistance...

... Steven.

post-11442-1142261312.jpg

Hello there,

Sometimes the stories don't match reality. I've been looking this up for you but the dates you give -or have been given- are a little confusing. Do you by any chance have any specific details? At that stage of the game the 1st. bn. were in Macedonia.

Lets stick with it,

Ken

Steven

2nd Battalion, Leinster Regiment returned to Poperinghe on 8th Jan 1916 after a rest period and a week later relieved the 1st North Staffs near Hooge. Severe shelling on 16th Jan and returned to dugouts on 19th Jan suffering only a few casualties. Three days leter, they were back in Hooge and on the following day were heavily shelled, three killed , 11 wounded.

In the early morning of 24th Jan two squads of bombers crawled out into no mans land for revenge and put 80 bombs into opposing trenches, returning without caasualties.

The 2nd Batt received a draft of 30 other ranks on 24th Jan - maybe this is when he returned to the regiment? They dont seem to have suffered anymore casualties until 12th March with 7 killed, 8 wounded by shelling - and this was a quiet sector.

7th Battalion were in Verchin in early January 1916. On 16th Jan they were in Les Brebis and in the Square of the town when A and D Companies were shelled suffering some casualties.

Therefore , it looks like he could have been in either 2nd or 7th Leinsters.

Just noticed his qualifying date.... 19 Dec 1914.... a draft of 1 officer and 40 men proceeded overseas to the 5th Batt in early Dec 1914 .... could have been with them also but I presume they went to join the 2nd Leinsters?

Mark

Nice one Mark,

The qualifing date together with the marriage date had an old man somewhat confused.

Regards,

Ken

Gentlemen.

My sincere apologies for my delay in responding to your kind assistance.

I have been away for routine hospital checks and have this minute read your replies.

I have obtained my grandfather's marriage certificate, and it appears that the day of his wedding is ten days earlier than I was informed.

It reads:

1916 4th January William Howlett 24 Bachelor Lance Cprl 28 Jenkinson St, Liverpool.

Therefore, he would have been wounded between 4th-14th January, 1916.

I have spoken at length with my mother, who is certain that her recollection of being told by her mother of the letter arriving 10 days after their wedding is indeed accurate.

Thank you so very much indeed for your interest and assistance.

I am very grateful indeed for your efforts...

..... Steven.