Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS reg.nr. 3624

Cnock

Hello,

I am looking for more information about a RNAS Henri Farman plane, reg. 3624 and his pilot.

The plane crashed on the beach at Middelkerke, propably in August 1915.

Thanks,

Regards,

Cnock

Hello,

I am looking for more information about a RNAS Henri Farman plane, reg. 3624 and his pilot.

The plane crashed on the beach at Middelkerke, propably in August 1915.

Thanks,

Regards,

Cnock

In Sturtivant & Page 'Royal Navy Aircraft Serials and Units' Henry Farman F.27 No. 3624 is noted as last being flown on 19 October 1915.

The full citation is:

3624 Delivered 1 Wing St. Pol on/by 16.8.15 - last known date 26.9.15; 4 Sqdn1 Wing Dunkerque by 1.10.15; A Group 1 Wing St. Pol by 10.10.15; engine failure - forced landing La Panne 10.10.15 (FSL ECR Edwards & AM [1] Salisbury unhurt); Last flown 19.10.15

[1] I suspect that AM here stands for Air Mechanic and not the chaps initials,

In the series of 20 of these F27s Serials 3617 to 3636 the only reference to Middlekerke is with respect to 3620 supposed sinking of a U-boat near that location.

Eight of 20 of these aircraft were shipped straight to the Dardanelles.

I appreciate that this only appears to muddy the waters. ;)

If Sturdivant & Page does not provide the answer, your only course of action is to look through 1 Wing operations records at the National Archives. I'm not sure if the 1915 records are very exhaustive though.

Do you have a photograph of the incident or a written record?

Mike

PetrolPidgeon,

I fully agree with You that it did not happen in August 1915 (was caption on back of photo)

but see pic.

3624 surrounded by German soldiers.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1142271498.jpg

Curious thing, the KTB of the Marinekorps Flandern on sea and air operations of August 1915 doesn't mention anything on a RNAS planes except the Sopwith Schneider 3717 from Felixstowe which was captured at Zeebrugge.

On the 5th of August a French crew was captured with their plane, but this happened at sea. Their seaplane was doing an observation of minelaying by the Marinekorps near Middelkerke...

However there is a claim on an enemy airplane on the 23rd August by a plane from the Seeflugstation Seebrugge in the surroundings of Nieuwpoort.

A French plane ?

Regulus,

I looked it already up, but could find nothing.

Also not mentionned in TSTB.

Still there is the pic.

3624 was French-built by Henry Farman, and delivered in a batch of 20 (3618-3619 served in East-Africa).

Regards,

Cnock