Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mentioned in Dispatches

ChrisC

This has probably come up before but I'd appreciate a steer. (No not the ones with horns B) )

My GG Uncle's obit states that "he was twice mentioned in dispatches"

I can't locate this in his MICs, so any clues on how to look these up?

Many thanks

Chris C

Chris

If he was 'MID' then there should be separate MIC's online for him in the series WO372/24.

Regards

Steve

There are two types of Mentions in Despatch.

The major type were announced in the London Gazette. Good luck with finding those as they have a very awkward way of presentation.

The best way to search (unless he has a really rare name) is to type in "Special Mention" into the Gazette search and trawl through the entries. The way of presenting them changed through the war, and they were often listed by order of rank, too.

The "lesser" type were apparently announced in the Times, but I have never searched for one of those, so can't help much.

What name are you looking for?

I have a partial list of links at home if we can narrow it down.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I shall do as you suggest with the Gazette. The source was GG Uncle Arthur's funeral report. Arthur Collier, as in the signature.

Chris C

Oh! and thanks to t'other Steve as well.... :D

trying the number number works most of the time. Names dont work cos there at the begining of the line.gareth

Sorry gareth, I must be as thick as a whale omelette, I don't understand your suggestion.

Chris C

Chris

I'm guessing that Gareth is referring to the problems with the search engine on the London Gazette site - its fairly horrible. :D

One of the main problems with it is that it doesn't recognise text at the beginning of a line (a result of the OCR process).

Far better to do as Gareth suggests and search by service number rather than name.

For more tips on using the London Gazette search engine see Forrest Anderson's website here.

Regards

Mike

Thank you! I will try that.

Chris C

Sorry gareth, I must be as thick as a whale omelette, I don't understand your suggestion.

Chris C

Sorry if I confused you Chris, but the LG is a wonderous thing if you can figure out all the tricks, and as Mike says the Anderson site gives losts of hints. For MIDs numbers usualy work, names dont work at all. The trouble is if you have dashes and sometimes slashes in numbers which may not be recognised. Also remember if your looking for names that gaps and full stops are important, Best have a look at the formats that the different entries take that gives a good idea how to write your searches. gareth

Cheers all. I'll follow your advice and feedback results.

Thanks

Chris C