Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WILLIAM HOWLETT, Pte, 8495 - LEINSTER REGIMENT.

llysfaen

I am researching my family tree, and would dearly wish to add detail to my grandfather, Pte William Howlett, Leinster Regiment, Regimental No. 8495.

According to my mother's best recall, my grandmother received a letter 10 days after their wedding, stating that he was wounded in France and had sadly had a leg amputated.

He died 10 years later, almost to the day of his wedding, aged 34.

I have found his Medal Card online, and thoroughly digested this site's wonderful information upon interpretation of Medal Card information.

However, I remain perplexed on two issues.

1. What battallion/regiment/corps or such he was in when he was wounded?

2. Where exactly was he fighting when he was wounded?

He was married in Liverpool as Lance Corporal William Howlett on 14th January 1916.

Therefore, if mother's memory is accurate, he was wounded between 14th-24th January 1916.

Mother recalls him saying that he went 'over the top', inferring infantry, and that a French solder had pulled him clear from sniper fire.

The sniper was shooting him, hitting him in the legs.

She cannot guarantee the accuracy of these facts, but is confident that they are indeed accurate.

I have read and re-read this site's excellent sections on the Regiments and actions, but cannot fathom the above questions.

As I am wheelchair/housebound, I am unable to go to Kew to peruse records, so am hopeful that those here might be able to shed some light upon these questions.

I enclose an attachment of his Medal Card.

Thank you for your interest and assistance...

... Steven.

post-11442-1142258265.jpg

Hello Steven,

Your man was probably 1st Battalion, Leinster Regiment. The date of entry into theatre of war is 19/12/1914, which as far as I can figure out corresponds with the date the 1st Leinsters arrived in France.

To be 100% sure, you would need to get someone to check the Medal Roll in Kew. You could try posting in the I'm going to the NA section and hope someone will do a lookup for you. They could also check for the Service Record - though don't hold out too much hope that it still exists! I went over to the NA a few years back to check on my granduncles Service Record, but no luck :( .

I looked up Tom Johnstone's Orange, Green and Khaki, but there was no metion of where the 1st Leinsters were on the dates in question.

Incidentally, I used to know a Howlett - do you have any relations in Kilkenny? It is quite an unusual name here.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way!

Regards,

Liam

Hello, Liam.

I apologise for my late response.

Thank you for your welcome and your efforts on my behalf!

I shall certainly try for a lookup as you suggest.

My grandfather was born in Norwich, England, and went to Ireland at some point in his life, as his father married a girl from County Cork, and I remember a photograph of my grandfather (sadly lost to a distant relative) with his army gymnastics team, with a large green shamrock covering the front of his white gymn vest.

As to where and when he was in Ireland, I have not a clue, unfortunately.

He may well have enlisted there.

My apologies for my vagueness, but I have very little hard information about him, as he died when my mother, his last surviving daughter, was just a young girl, and her memories are all I have to work with.

Again, my sincere thanks for your kind assistance...

..... Steven.