Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hébuterne

Mark Trapnell

Can anyone help me with the identity/village and or country of this ruined church? It has a telegraph pole outside which looks very different. It is part of a series of photos but without subject descriptions... the photographer was in The Somme and Italy

Many thanks

Mark

post-10180-1142249026.jpg

The photograph surely was not taken in Italy.

I think it must be Northern France (Somme or Nord-Pas de Calais). Little chance for Belgium.

Would you like to post some more pics of the series ?

This could eventually help to identification of the place.

regards

Malte

Definetly France,the type of concrete pylon in front of the Church,are still visible all over the Somme area.

It is the village of Hebuterne. Strictly speaking it is in the Pas de Calais, but it was in the northern area of the Somme battlefields. It had a very large church, both then and now.

There is a memorial to the Bradford Pals in the modern village close to where you see the crucifix in the photo.

I am presuming your man was in a unit of the 48th (South Midland) Division, who were here in 1915/16 (and Italy in 1917-18).

It is the village of Hebuterne. Strictly speaking it is in the Pas de Calais, but it was in the northern area of the Somme battlefields. It had a very large church, both then and now.

There is a memorial to the Bradford Pals in the modern village close to where you see the crucifix in the photo.

I am presuming your man was in a unit of the 48th (South Midland) Division, who were here in 1915/16 (and Italy in 1917-18).

If it is Hébuterne that makes sense since grandad was in trenches there - here is the crucifix. These are photos of Major EE Wookey who served with my grandfather in 1/4th Gloucestershire regt. His son has sent them to me after I made contact with him. But there are no descriptions of where each one is. I will post a photo of a village which may have been Hébuterne (if this church is Hébuterne)

post-10180-1142256586.jpg

Here are some street scenes which could then also be Hébuterne - anyone recognise anything?

Thanks to Papineau and Malte. You're both great!

post-10180-1142257312.jpg

post-10180-1142257394.jpg

post-10180-1142257412.jpg

I am looking for my postcards and photos of Hebuterne, but cannot find them all. I will post at least one later today.

I would say the other photos may not be Hebuterne; the amount of men and equipment in the streets suggests it may be a little further behind the lines. The building to the left behind the railings may be another church or a large house; whichever, it is built in a traditional Picardy style (red brick and chalk stone) which Hebuterne church was not, and indeed few buildings in that village were.

Still can't find all the postcards. There is one taken almost on the spot of yours. This is a view in the village in 1915 when the French were still there; the level of destruction seems to confirm the other photos are taken in another place.

post-10684-1142261796.jpg

Thanks Papineau.

Heres another of Hébuterne Church from a different angle. Any further ideas on village scenes?

post-10180-1142263134.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 16 years later...

I know this is a long discontinued post, But @Mark Trapnell, I don't suppose you still have these photos do you? I would love a copy of them and any others as my Uncle served with Major EE Wookey

Everything scanned (EE Wookey Diaries and photos) i gave to the Soldiers of Gloucester Museum on CD ROM. Some of the original photos I believe were at Imperial War museum London. Then had contact with Major EE Wookey's son, who sent me the diaries to scan. I attach a resume of the photos i can find on file here.

4690_1.jpg

4690_2.jpg

4690_3.jpg

Some were Hébuterne (Church and cemetery) others were when they went to Italy 1917 1st/4th (City of Bristol) Gloucestershire regt. If you send me your address in a message I will send you the Wookey diaries on CD.

4690_4.jpg

4690_5.jpg

4690_6.jpg

Edited by Mark Trapnell

• Admin

What a magnificent set of photos. 

13 hours ago, Mark Trapnell said:

Some were Hébuterne (Church and cemetery) others were when they went to Italy 1917 1st/4th (City of Bristol) Gloucestershire regt. If you send me your address in a message I will send you the Wookey diaries on CD.

Mark, thanks so much! Those photos are fantastic! I don't suppose they have any notes on them or anything do they? And do you know any of the men in the pics? I assume one of them is Wookey himself?

I already have a digital copy of the diary though thanks (you kindly sent it to me years ago). Its been the basis of lots of my research and I was even working on transcribing it at one point (I only managed the first few months). Its such a fantastic historical document

I think the early batch of photos i saw had some names (The ones that are in the Imperial War Museum London.) Major Eric Wookey is indeed in some of them. The ones i posted didn't make it to the IWM collection. If you can find on here a Gloucestershire regiment expert I'm sure someone has all the lists of the men in the regiment.  The collection is listed on the IWM site 9603-07 https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=wookey Eric Major&pageSize=30&media-records=all-records&style=image&filters[collectionString][WOOKEY ERIC (MAJOR)]=on Remind me of your Uncles Name?

Just checked back in old research folder and the IWM scans of photos I have mention the following names: GS Catle MC (then Lt, later Lt Col), Platoon Officer Lt Beauvoir, Corporal Pocock, GR Wookey (Eric Wookeys brother who did not survive 2nd Battle of Ypres 1915), and the Graves of Private A Cottell and Private L Yeoman, Private A J Hammond.

13 hours ago, Mark Trapnell said:

I think the early batch of photos i saw had some names (The ones that are in the Imperial War Museum London.

Remind me of your Uncles Name?

Thanks, I think I might need to plan a trip to the IWM to get a look the original photos.

My Uncle was Arthur Henry King (201401 / 4538) who was only a private so isn't mentioned in many offical docs, but died under Wookey's command in an attack on the Somme on 21st / 22nd August 1916

14 hours ago, Mark Trapnell said:

The Graves of Private A Cottell and Private L Yeoman, Private A J Hammond.

After a little research I found Pvt Cottell and who I assume is the Pvt Yeoman. I might do a little extra digging to see what I can find about them. I wonder why Wookey photographed their graves in particular

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 11.29.44.png

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 11.39.21.png