Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RN Medical Service

Adam Shaw

I have several photos showing my grandfather (in large groups of men and nurses) in a RN Hospital about 1916 ( I think). I would like to identify the hospital. In one of the photos there appears a nurse wearing an armband. When the photo is enhanced a stamp on it reads "Royal Navy Medical Service" and in the centre of the writing is the number '207'. Does anyone know if this number helps to identify the location or would the number relate to the nurse? Ships names are clearly visible on several caps.

Hi,

Im not sure about the number but if you post the photo it may help to date it and maybe someone will recognise the hospital.

Regards Charles

Alickie

Until the mid-eighteenth century, the Royal Navy had no dedicated hospitals. The first and largest hospital was built at Haslar (Gosport, Hampshire) between 1745 and 1761. The Royal Naval Hospital, Stonehouse, was built during the Seven Years War on a 24 acre site on Stonehouse Creek. Intended to be primarily accessible by water, building started in 1758 and was completed in 1762. The third Naval hospital, at Chatham, was not built until 1827-8. There were wartime hospitals.

As Charles has suggested a post of the photo may help.

Dave

I've been struggling over the last hour or so to attach a pic without success ( I've read the guides in the forum and still haven;t cracked it). In the meantime....the pics I have are mainly taken against a building so no long shots. The building is brick built and ivy clad. I know that doesn't help but until I can get my techno head on it's the best I can do.

post-11379-1142276889.jpg

Hopefully this is now one of the pics. The nurse referred to is 2nd from the right in the midle row. My grandfather is 3rd from right on the top row. He joined the navy aged 15 in 1914. I have photos of him in uniform dated 1919 and, by then, he had visibly matured. Based on that I date this photo around 1916.

If you are able to obtain his SR (Service record) & if he was RN his SR should be in the ADM 188 series - & its available on line - it may indicate on it that he was DSQ (Discharged to Sick Quarters) & give the Hospital he spent some time in,

Bryan

Thanks again Bryan. I've had a quick search on the link and haven't found him....I'll try a few permutations and check the FAQ's before I trouble anyone else for assistance.

AM

He could have been RNR or RNVR also Alickie,

RNVR is in ADM 337, & RNR is in BT 164, & BT 377.

Neither of which is available on line,

Bryan

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Alickie,

The Naval Hospital Hull today, originally part of the workhouse.

Regards Charles

Thanks Charles...sorry it's taken me a while to acknowledge but here is the photo I latterly found, marked "R.N. Hospital Hull Sept 1917". Hope it's of interest - seems to have been taken from the opposite side of your modern photo.

Hope this now includes the photo I mentioned...I think the one I tried to post was too large in terms of file size.

post-11379-1156015865.jpg