Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph & Harry Harper

Guest Lois

My name is Lois Whittaker and I live in Toowoomba Queensland Aus.I am very keen to find information on my Grandfather Harry Charles Harper who served in WW1 and Joseph Harper who may be his Brother. My Grandfather was born in Barking Essex, 22nd February 1892 and died in Adelaide Sth. Australia in 1953. Harry married my Grandmother in England during the War, I believe. She was a nurse from Australia- Olive Annie Booth. Joseph may have been in the 11th Hussars, I found a picture in a Book by Jay Winter and Blaine Baggett, THE GREAT WAR and The Shaping of The 21st Century and it looks like my Dad but couldn't be as my Dad served in the RAN in WW2. My Dad didn't know his Father as his Mother told him and his 2 siblings that Harry was dead which he wasn't as he died in 1953 the year before I was born. Should you have any information to help me in my search I would be very pleased. Have a lovely Day. Sincerely, Lois

There is a file on him at National Archives of Australia, Canberra

here

which you could obtain either by contacting them

or getting it posted online in about 2- 3 months if you apply now

Title

HARPER Harry Charles : Service Number - London England : Place of Birth - London England : Place of Enlistment - Oaklands SA : Next of Kin - (Wife) HARPER O A

Item barcode

4420068 Series number

B2455 Series accession number

B2455/1

Control symbol

HARPER H C

Contents date range

circa 1914 - circa 1920

It looks from the entry that he was already in Australia when he enlisted, in the AIF