Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 men of Long Melford

nunnj1954

I thought this Photo taken circa 1919-1920 of the reunion of the fighting men of Long Melford might be of interest to some. I have a larger image if anyone really needs it. My Grandfather is in the front row (marked).

post-11355-1142180572.jpg

Guest Simon Bull

What a superb photograph. I am very jealous. I know that there was a similar reunion in the village the War Memorial of which I am studying, nd I would love to see a similar photograph of it.

Fantastic photo! I haven't been to Long Melford for years - any idea where the photo was taken? Sadly my step-mum's uncle, a Long Melford lad (Launcelot Andrews - see my signature below), was one that didn't survive the war.

cheers

Steve

Having researched the Long Melford War Memorial this photgraph would look good on the web page. WOuld it be possible to use this please?

Fantastic photo! I haven't been to Long Melford for years - any idea where the photo was taken? Sadly my step-mum's uncle, a Long Melford lad (Launcelot Andrews - see my signature below), was one that didn't survive the war.

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, I still live in Long Melford and can say for sure it was taken at the rear of Melford Hall (the red brick tudor building on the green) you can just see the tops of the towers behind the roof.

Regards

John

Hi Steve, I still live in Long Melford and can say for sure it was taken at the rear of Melford Hall (the red brick tudor building on the green) you can just see the tops of the towers behind the roof.

Regards

John

Hi John,

Of course! I have vague memories of going to see a re-enactment of a medieval tournament in the grounds of the hall when I was little.

Coincidentaly I notice on your signature your great uncle was killed the same day as one of my grans cousins (both were in the 1/5th Suffolk Regiment in Gallipoli) - see the recent thread on "Other Theatres".

cheers

Steve

Interesting to note the large number of men involved in the reunion and what a massive effect the war would have had on the village.

Regards

John

N.B Lived in Long Melford 1971-1984