Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment, help me please !

michaeluk007

Please could someone help me, I have been trying for a very long time to try and find out my grandfathers battalion, he served in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in the first world war, his service number is 5264, Private Frank Nash MM. I have his medals but they only say RWR on them. I also have his medal index card and that ony says RWR. I also have contacted the RWR Museum but they cannot help me either.

I thought that if his service number was only four digits ( 5264 ) it may have given something away being that it is a very low number. Is there anyone out there that could shed any light on this for me, does anyone know of a soldier with a similar service number ?

One thing I do know is that he didnt serve overseas until 1916 because he doesnt have the 1915 star.

My grandfather did transfer to the 29 Machine Gun Corps sometime in early 1918 where he won the Military Medal.

I am visiting the Somme this year for the 90th Anniversary and would love to trace the steps my grandfather took in this batlle, I would truely love to find out his battalion then everything should fall into place from there on in,

In anticipation

Mike

Have you tried putting a message in the guestbook at the regiment's museum, the curator there is most helpful and will reply to your post. Type thewardrobe.org.uk into your browser and then go to the guestbook and make your entry.

Regards

Christina

hello Mike

I have been checking Royal Warwickshire men listed on Soldiers Died CD Rom, who have a similar number to Frank Nash. Hoping a pattern may form to a particular battalion. However as you can see from the men listed below he could have served with several battalions.

Pte George Hughes 5264 DOW 10/8/15 9th RWR (same service number as Frank)

Pte William Parish 5265 KIA 30/7/16 10th RWR

Pte Frederick Hill 5263 Died 24/1/16 5th Reserve at Home

Pte C R J Bundy 5257 DOW 26/11/16 1/8th RWR

Pte J Connelly 5253 DOW 3/9/15 9th RWR

Pte William Lowe 5250 KIA 30/7/16 10th RWR

Pte A A Walton 5273 KIA 17/10/15 10th RWR

Pte A J Milson 5276 DOW 29/8/16 1/8th RWR

Pte C E Glen 5278 KIA 18/8/16 1/6th RWR

perhaps his service papers survive at the National Archives.

Regards

Terry

hello Mike

I have been checking Royal Warwickshire men listed on Soldiers Died CD Rom, who have a similar number to Frank Nash. Hoping a pattern may form to a particular battalion. However as you can see from the men listed below he could have served with several battalions.

Pte George Hughes 5264 DOW 10/8/15 9th RWR (same service number as Frank)

Pte William Parish 5265 KIA 30/7/16 10th RWR

Pte Frederick Hill 5263 Died 24/1/16 5th Reserve at Home

Pte C R J Bundy 5257 DOW 26/11/16 1/8th RWR

Pte J Connelly 5253 DOW 3/9/15 9th RWR

Pte William Lowe 5250 KIA 30/7/16 10th RWR

Pte A A Walton 5273 KIA 17/10/15 10th RWR

Pte A J Milson 5276 DOW 29/8/16 1/8th RWR

Pte C E Glen 5278 KIA 18/8/16 1/6th RWR

perhaps his service papers survive at the National Archives.

Regards

Terry

Terry thanks for your help, what has surprised me is that another soldier with the same number, how can that be, ?????????? , my grandfather did survive the war, looks like i will have to try the national archives , thanks again, Mike

Have you tried putting a message in the guestbook at the regiment's museum, the curator there is most helpful and will reply to your post. Type thewardrobe.org.uk into your browser and then go to the guestbook and make your entry.

Regards

Christina

Thanks Christina, i will try that and thanks for your help,

mike

Mike

You need to need to download the mic and take down the reference number alongside the medals which is a reference to the actual medal roll. You will, however, have to visit the National Archive to see the role, which should give his Battalion

I think Christina has got mixed up with the Wiltshire Regiment by the way. The Wardrobe is their regimental museum.

Terry Reeves

Terry, thanks for replying, yes think Christina did get muxed up, yes think thats the last resort now, by going to Archives in London for Medal Roll, bit difficult 4 me though as i live in northern ireland, do you know if anyone can do that for me, Thanks for your help, Mike