Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private 39730 Queens Regiment - 1916

Joey Bee

I am keen to understand how someone would be deployed as a private in labour corps of Queens Regiment in 1916-17. I know he was at the 3rd battle of Ypres. Would his role have been solely to transport goods and provisions to front line, dig trenches etc.

I am keen to understand how someone would be deployed as a private in labour corps of Queens Regiment in 1916-17. I know he was at the 3rd battle of Ypres. Would his role have been solely to transport goods and provisions to front line, dig trenches etc.

Duties which had peen performed by pioneers and labour companies. Digging, roadmending but also loading and unloading trains, guarding Prisoner of War camps etc. Try the mother site. This is still an under-reported facet of the war. Many ( majority? ) soldiers were engaged in these essential tasks, often under fire but there is very little record of them.

Duties which had peen performed by pioneers and labour companies. Digging, roadmending but also loading and unloading trains, guarding Prisoner of War camps etc. Try the mother site. This is still an under-reported facet of the war. Many ( majority? ) soldiers were engaged in these essential tasks, often under fire but there is very little record of them.

Thank you for that. My grandad spoke of carrying things - even crosses to mark graves - to the front. He also told us that he was on one occassion taking loads into front line trenches at night when thay happened upon a German trench by mistake. He was eventually invalided out at Passchendaelle with shrapnel wounds to his arm, so I suppose men like him were under shell fire too. I will look at the mother site as you suggest thank you.