Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Uniform

tootrock

My Grandfather served in France, certainly from 1917 onwards, and survived the war. I have a photograph of him in uniform, which from the cap badge I take to be Royal Artillery. Since his name was Frank Smith I have a problem finding his medal card. In the index there are 118 Frank Smiths in the RFA, 71 in the RGA and 6 in the RHA. His uniform includes a bandolier with 5 pouches, a riding crop and spurs.

In order to narrow my search I ask the following:-

Does this uniform mean he was in the RHA, or did the RFA also wear riding gear (I imagine field guns were pulled into position by horses).

Did the RGA wear this uniform as well?

And while I'm asking questions:-

What was in the leather pouches on the bandolier? If it was SAA, where was the rifle carried?

Regards,

Tootrock

Tootruck,

All would tend to dress this way if they were involved in riding/working with horses. The other unfortunate thing is that they would all wear the same/similar cap badge (Territorial Force and New Army badges tended to have the unit inscibed on the scroll, or have an additional scroll on the basic cap badge).

Any pictures of him tending to the guns? Something like the photo enclosed would lend some direction to RGA or RFA/RHA.

If you have access to his medals, these will have his regimental number on them and it will help to identify the Medal Index Card for your grandfather.

Hope this helps

Tom McC

post-10175-1142166567.jpg

Tootruck,

Have a look at this link, I think John Reed gives a breakdown of the weapons carried by the gun team.

This picture of my Wife's Great Grandfather and his brother was produced by a photographer in Burnley. Harry was RFA (08 Pattern Web Belt & TF style info on epaulette) Richard sitting was RGA. The family were from near Accrington.

My own paternal great grandfather was a driver in the RFA, one of the photos I have of him, it looks like it is in the field in France and he has no spurs, or drivers style footwear on.

Again hope this is of use.

Tom McC

post-10175-1142167278.jpg