Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driver Albert Richard Parker Royal Field Artillery

Julie Kelly

I am trying to research my Grandfather Driver Albert Richard Parker who served in WW1 in the Royal Field Artillery the regiment is given as 146286. I would like to know the name of the regiment and be able to find any other records (I have medal card) and or find Hat badge or emblem for this regiment. I know he lived in South Norwood, Surrey area if this is of help. Any help with finding this information greatly appreciated. Julie

Dear Julie,

From the Surrey Recruitment Register, the following entry might be of interest to you:

A. Parker

Enlisted in the Royal Field Artillery

Attestation Date: 12/12/15

Where Attested: Croydon

Birthplace: Norwood

Height: 5 ft 5½ ins

Weight: 136 lbs

Chest: 37 ins Expansion: 3 ins

Remarks: 78, Addison Road, S. Norwood

Regards, Sandcroft

Sandycroft.

Thanks so much for that. It is definately him as I know they lived at 78 Addison Road, South Norwood. Thanks again. Julie

Sandycroft.

Any ideas on where I should go now to find out actual name of his unit and hopefully find out regiment or hat badge illustration. Julie

Julie,

The cap badge would take this shape. Regular soldiers of the RFA/RGA/RHA all used this cap badge. Territorial Force and New Army ones tended to have unit identifiction on the scroll, or an extra line of scroll.

Hope this helps

Tom

post-10175-1142462610.jpg

Julie

Any ideas on where I should go now to find out actual name of his unit and hopefully find out regiment

You already know his unit, it's the Royal Field Artillery. The number 146286 is his Service Number in that unit.

Regards

Steve

Steve, please don't take this the wrong way :)

But his unit is not the RFA, his Regiment is.

His unit would be the Battery and Brigade for example. C Battery 78 Brigade RFA, part of 17 (Northern) Division.

Julie,

You may have a photograph looking similar to this in your possession, these are RFA (Please not the shape of the cap badge and boots with spurs - not generally worn in the field):

Hope this helps

Tom McC

post-10175-1142463191.jpg

Tom A McCluskey,

Tom I definately know he was RFA as I have his medal card. Apparently according to my Dad he drove a cart to front line containing ammunition. It is obvious from what you say that I need to find Battery and Brigade. How can I do this? Julie

Julie,

The next bit I have never done, so I am hoping that one of the more experienced researchers comes into the forum and gives you advice.

I believe the National Archives may hold some soldiers' records (a lot were destroyed by German bombing during the Second World War). You can request copies of these records.

Also there should be a comprehesive medal roll kept at the National Archives, as each medal had to be issed to an identified individual, I would hope that this identified the soldier by Rigiment/Corps and unit that he belongs to.

I have not seen an example of this medal roll, but I have no doubt many have. Incidentally Julie, out of interest, my paternal Great Grandfather was also a driver in the RFA ;) .

hope this helps

Tom McC

*Regiment

Tom A. McCluskey,

Thanks for that. Julie

I don't mean to hijack this but I wonder if Sandcroft could tell me a little bit more about the Surrey Recruitment Register. I'm trying to research some Surrey men and have had zero luck with AVL's for the area and wonder if that might hold the info I'm after.

Much obliged

Phil

Dear Philg,

The Surrey Recruitment Registers, cover the period 1908 to mid 1933. The registers are produced by the Surrey History Trust.

If you would care to list the men that you are interested in, I could look them up for you.

Sandcroft

LSH,

The only H W Higgs in the Surrey Register was born in Bredon, and enlisted in the East Surrey Regiment (3rd Battalion). I've checked the Medal Index, which shows that your Grandfather was in the Royal Field Artillery, so, unfortunately, this does not appear to be the same man.

Sandcroft

Sandycroft,

Referring back to the information you kindly looked up for A. Parker I don't suppose it stated his Batallion and Brigade he went into? I would love to know this and don't know how to find it out. Julie

Dear Julie,

I'm afraid that there are no further details listed in the register. I would suggest that you try the National Archives as stated in the thread posted by Tom McClusky. The references for these documents are; WO 363 the 'Burnt Documents' and WO 364 the 'Unburnt Documents'. May I also suggest that you try researching the local newspaper for the period, it is possible that he was mentioned and his Battery and /or Brigade listed.

Sandcroft

Sandycroft, Thanks will try both of these. Julie

Hi Sandcroft,

Thanks for the kind offer. The man I'm researching is Reginald Shephard who lived in Holmbury St. Mary at either The Glade or Cherry Bank. I'd also be keen to find out any info on his brothers, Thomas, George, Arthur, Oliver, Walter and John.

regards

Phil

Dear Phil,

In the search for Reginald Shepard, I have noted the following entries:

R. Shephard

Regiment: Scottish Rifles (Cameronians)

Where Attested: Kingston

Attestation Date: 02 02 17

Height: 5ft 4ins

Weight: 152 lbs

Chest: 38ins

Expansion: 3ins

Medical Grade: B1

Remarks: 20 Ferrers Rd, Streatham

R. Sheppard

Regiment: Royal Engineers

Where Attested: Croydon

Attestation Date: 08 08 15

Birthplace: Norwood

Height: 5ft 5ins

Weight: 123 lbs

Chest: 32ins

Expansion: 2ins

Distinctive Marks: Tattoo Left Forearm

R. Shepherd

Regiment: Northamptonshire Regiment (8th Batn)

Where Attested: Wandsworth

Attestation Date: 11 12 15

Birthplace: Peckham

Height: 5ft 6ins

Weight: 131 lbs

Chest: 36ins

Expansion: 3ins

Remarks: 8 Alma Road, Wandsworth

Could you let me know when and where Reginald's brothers were born, to help me narrow the search. Thanks.

Sandcroft

Reg was born in 1896 in Shere, Surrey which is near Guildford. His brothers were all born in Shere as well. Thomas 1892, George 1890, Arthur 1880, Oliver 1876, Walter 1874 and John 1872.

Many thanks

Phil

Dear Julie,

Here are a few details of the service record of Albert Richard Parker:

5a Reserve Bde - Posted Driver - 9/6/16

25th Reserve Bty - 1/7/16

4a Reserve Bde - 13/9/16

No. 2 Section Reserve D.A.C. became 11th Bde Amm Col. - 27/9/16

Embarked overseas to France - 27/9/16

D/331st Bde - 8/3/19

1/1 Essex Heavy Artillery - 16/4/19

79th Bde R.G.A. - 17/4/19

Essex Heavy Artillery to Rhine Army Con Camp for Demob - 10/9/19

Sandcroft

Sandycroft.

Thank you very much for that, it is certainly nice to have more details about him. Julie

Sandycroft,

Sorry to bother you again. On the details you very kindly found on the Surrey Recruitment Register it has Albert's attestation date as 12/12/15 in Croydon. The first date it mentions on his service record details is 9/6/1916, is there any mention of his first posting. Is there any way of sending or applying for a copy of his service record? Julie

Dear Julie,

His previous service:

Army Reserve 13/12/15:

No. 4 Depot posted Driver 12/5/16

You have the very good fortune that Albert Richard Parker's service records survive (most were destroyed during the Second World War). They are held at the N.A. The document reference is WO 363, film box p1004, items 0720-0750.

I hope this helps.

Sandcroft

Sandycroft,

Many thanks, once again. Julie