Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ANZAC

DrB

I can recall reading some years ago that, initially at Gallipoli, the kiwi officers thought that the Australian soldiers were an ill- disciplined rabble due to their lack of respect for authority.

Once their fighting ability had been established, apparently this was no longer an issue.

Cannot recall the book so I am paraphrasing but I think I am correct in this.

Colin

I don't agree. I think you'll find most kiwi soldiers of the day were simply pin-pointing the differences between themselves and other nations, in this case the laconic and perhaps a little brash aussie personality. For that matter, the aussies thought us kiwi's a reticent bunch, which was quite true. Mutual respect was founded on Gallipoli, but that's not to say the first threads of this weren't apparent earlier on. See my earlier post.

Andy M

I have no doubt that there was some degree of rivalry between the Aussies & Enzeders. But as has been mentioned in an earlier post there was also rivalry between Australian units that were commonly defined by particular state borders. Indeed many Aussie men felt an affiliation based on district or town. (It was a much smaller world in those days)

The two words that I would use to describe the relationship would be that of ‘mutual respect’ The Enzed Bde of the Anzac MtdDiv for example was a formidable force that I believe was equal to that of the other brigades in the Div. (I would not like to rank them). The Enzed men were great soldiers, and I too have read many accounts of Australians praising the bravery of the Fern-landers in action. By the time of the evacuation from the Peninsula, both forces had witnessed enough of each others bravery and sacrifice that they no longer felt the degree of superiority that perhaps existed earlier in the War. Both nationalities would appear to have generally quite respectful of each others fighting prowess from all the published accounts that I have read.

Cheers

Geoff S

Yep, there was definately rivalry between units from different states, particularly when they were on the sporting field.

But I've seen in a unofficial unit history where a battalion (won't mention which state) objected because their new commanding officer came from a different state, despite the fact that the officer had been a good performer on Gallipoli.

Cheers

Andrew

Perhaps Britain could get in on it?

The britsaanzacs ;)

We Brits ARE trying to get in on it, you can buy ANZAC biscuits in Sainsbury (very good they are too) - allegedly the same as were sent out to the ANZACS by the folk at home during the war - so perhaps someone thinks we can ingest the ANZAC spirit. One of the current Army forums sings thier praises so who knows, perhaps it will work.

• 2 weeks later...
I can recall reading some years ago that, initially at Gallipoli, the kiwi officers thought that the Australian soldiers were an ill- disciplined rabble due to their lack of respect for authority.

Once their fighting ability had been established, apparently this was no longer an issue.

Cannot recall the book so I am paraphrasing but I think I am correct in this.

Colin

I too have read this and recall the same thing, I do beleive it may have been in one of O.E. Burtons books, perhaps the silent Division, or the Auckland regiment. I think overall its fair to say the kiwis were a more conservative bunch of fellows, when compared to the brashness of the Aussies, particularly in the early stages of the war. Perhaps this is where those observations steemed from. I do beleive the Aussies had a more rebelious attitude towards the British, hence the lack of respect for authority when saluting british officers etc. Their was a definite difference in attitude towards the Brits between Aussies and kiwis. However after the big battles of 1916 and 1917 (Somme, Passchendaele) the kiwis certainly had a resentment towards the British and the army overall. Having suffered so many casualties. Both nations fighting men have always had huge respect for eachother, and this originates from the Anzac landings in 1915.