Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. G.E.B Jacomb M.G.C

Guest Hussar

This is my Grandfather, 41386 Pte. Gordon Jacomb. A Squadron, 2nd Machine Gun Corps.

He joined up 20th August 1914 aged 19 years 144 days and was sent to 11th Cavalry Reserve for training.

14517 Tpr Jacomb was posted to 18th Hussars on 18th May 1915, he joined them in the field on 28th May 1915.

Transferred to the Machine Gun Corps on the 23rd March 1916, he survived the war to be de-mobbed in Cologne in 1919.

post-1-1063905426.jpg

Phil,

I'm afraid Ian's right! I can't say for sure when it was taken.

It could have been 1916 when he was training or 1917 when he was on home leave ( when he married my Nan) I'll speak to my Dad and see what info is on the back of the photo.

Ian,

As regards his de-mob, the only details were on his Safe Transit Pass which gave Cologne as the place of issue and directed him to make his way to Uckfield to return his kit.

Here is the picture after I've played with the photo editor and touched it up a bit.

The signature at the top means nothing to me, it's not his and I can't really decipher it.

Phil,

I spoke to my Dad and he says it has 'France 1916' on the back. So possibly during/after MGC Training?

post-1-1063975620.jpg