Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private J Sheepwash The queens regiment 39730

Joey Bee

I have begun to research my grandfathers war experiences. I know his regimental number and that he lived in Faversham, kent in 1916 - when he took out life insurance and left his job in an ammunitions factory there. He spoke of being at the battle of Passchendaele, Ypres, passing through the Menin Gate etc. He was invalided out with a shrapnel injury and returned to England after this.

If anyone can help I would be thrilled. I don't really know very much at this stage! What was the Queens Regiment was made up of at this time and if and where he saw action.

Have you downloaded his Medal Index Card yet?

This may well give you more information.

Medal card of Sheepwash, James

Corps Regiment No Rank

The Queen's Regiment 39730 Private

Labour Corps 643826 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

The cards cost £3.50 from the National Archives (They come on a page of 6 of which 5 are for other men)

Men were often transferred to the Labour Corps after being injured and medically downgraded away from front line duty.

Steve.

Have you downloaded his Medal Index Card yet?

This may well give you more information.

Medal card of Sheepwash, James

Corps Regiment No Rank

The Queen's Regiment 39730 Private

Labour Corps 643826 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

The cards cost £3.50 from the National Archives (They come on a page of 6 of which 5 are for other men)

Men were often transferred to the Labour Corps after being injured and medically downgraded away from front line duty.

Steve.

Thank you. I have done this now.

I understand that he returned to Catterick to a medical returning station and donned a blue uniform. Would there be any records of this anywhere? Could he have been part of the Labour Corps, after recovering from his shrapnel injury, for the remainder of the war? Would this mean he would have stayed in England in the Labour corps or did they generally return to France or Belgium?