Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Battalion Royal Fusiliers

nunnj1954

Hi, I wondered if anyone might be able help me find out a bit more about my 2nd cousin Maurice Day, born in Romford, Essex in 1895, he joined the 11th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, was killed in action on the Somme on 8th July 1918, at the time of his death he was a Lance Corporal, service number 50354, and was apparently awarded the Military Medal. I would like to know more about the action in which he was killed, and hopefully what he received the MM for, any help much appreciated, Regards John.

Maurice Day's MM was announced in the London Gazette of 24th January 1919. By this time of the war the delay between the medal being won and the Gazette announcement was anywhere between 4 and 9 months.

Bearing in mind the date of his death the award was probably somewhere between May and his death on 8-7-1918.

No citations are gven in the Gazette for MMs but this is his entry:

G/50354 Pte. (A./L./C.) Day, M., 11th Bn. (Romford).

Link to Gazette:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

I have the History of 54th Brigade, but I can't find a reference to him at the moment. I shall look again later.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I look forward to seeing if you find anything in the History of the 54th Brigade. John