Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A/Sgt J P Campbell 5th Coy R.E. DCM with bar

richardshaw

Hello,

Not sure if anyone can help me with this. I have been trying to find my g,g,great uncles citation in the London Gazette.

The odd thing is that he was awarded the DCM twice which I thought should double my chances of finding him but alas nothing so far.

Would anybody have another way of looking this up? I have found his medal roll. I also have a photo of him with the medal and bar. I even have a copy of the local paper describing a presentation from his home village about the medal.

Any help would be gratefully received.

thanks,

Richard

Richard, here are the awards for your g,g,great uncles D.C.M.'s

John.

17751, Sapper, Campbell,J.P. 5th Field Company, Royal Engineers

For conspicuous gallantry at Civenchy on the 10th March,1915.The attacking party which he accom- panied retired after having failed to get through the entanglements, but he remained on the spot with three more sappers and assisted the machine-gun officer of the King's Royal Rifle Corps in providing covering fire,until the gun was put out of action.Sapper Campbell then rescued a wounded comrade whilst under fire.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

BAR to D.C.M.

17751 Acting Second Corporal J.P.Campbell,5th Field Company,Royal Engineers.

For conspicuous gallantry.When a grenade fell a few feet from him he rushed forward,and threw it over the parapet, thereby saving,many others from certain injury. He could easily himself have taken cover.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=