Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21 August 1918 US Navy aviator shot down-claim?

PFF

21 August 1918 US navy Aviator George H. Ludlow was shot down near Pola {Austrian Hungary}.

Ensign Ludow was rescued by US Avaitor Ensign Charles H.H. Hammann.

ANy Claims by Austrian aviators? :)

The USN flight of four Italian-built Macchi M-5s (13015, flown by Ensign George H Ludlow, 7299, flown by Ensign Austin Parker, 7225, flown by Ensign Dudley Voorhees and 7229, flown by Landsman for Quartermaster Charles Hammann) and one M-8 (19008, flown by Ensign Walter White (Pilot) and Ensign Albert Taliaferro (Observer)) was attacked by four Austro-Hungarian Navy Phönix D.IIIs from Pola Air Station (A-102 flown by Fliegermaat Josef Gindl, A-111 flown by Fregattenleutnant Emil Paramberger, A-118 flown by Fregattenleutnant Stephan Wollemann and A-117 flown by Fregattenleutnant Friedrich Lang).

Ludlow's aircraft was brought down by Wollemann, and Hammann was awarded the Medal of Honor for rescuing him.

For a detailed account of the action, see Medal of Honor, by Alan E Durkota, ISBN 1 891268 03 1.

I hope this helps

Gareth

I wonder if everyone reading this will realise that the Macchi M5 was a flying-boat fighter [see attachment]?

The Italians and Austro-Hungarians used various types similar to this for all purposes including as fighters; the French and Russians also built similar types but for observation rather than as fighters.

The RNAS had a small number of French FBAs, but generally the British and Germans used seaplane fighters rather flying-boats (eg the Sopwith Baby and Albatross W4)

How did the flying-boats measure up against landplane fighters? I can't imagine they were very manouverable.

Adrian

This is the best I can do of a Macchi M5 photo; its of a model. The one I failed to attach was the real thing.

Adrian

post-3755-1142082220.jpg