Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Connaught Rangers

The Old Man

Long shot I know, but does anyone have any idea where and what the 1st Connaught Rangers were doing on 19 September 1918 (I know they were in Mesopotamia). I have one who was wounded on that date - subsequently embarked for the UK 4th February 1919 - and awarded the MM (as per London Gazette 3rd July 1919) presumably as a result of the September incident. As Lieutenant-Colonel H.F.N. Jourdain's regimental history is very sketchy for this period, I'm hoping against hope that someone can help.

Any information would be very gratefully received.

Kind regards.

post-11359-1141941418.jpg

Hi there,

According to Tom Johnstone the 1st. bn. left Basra for Palestine, arriving at Suez on 15th April 1918.

"19 September saw the Rangers with 7 Brigade of 3rd Indian Division facing the Turkish Eight Army on the Plain of Sharon."

They took part in the Battle of Megiddo/Nablus on the 19th September which Johnstone describes in his book, Orange Green and Khaki. He states: "At 0400, the Rangers advanced from their positions about 200 yards to the start line and formed up along a front of 300 yards behind 27th. Punjabis on the brigade left. The instant the guns fired, the Rangers sprang forward and were almost into the Turkish lines before the enemy fired. They were well inside enemy lines within the first fifteen minutes. The first objective was gained with little difficulty."

He goes on: "Without pausing to relish their little victory, the Rangers continued their advance. Moving through Kefar Saba, they were in Kalkilieh Wood by 0900. 8 Brigade went through and led the way along Wadi Azzun. They rested that night, having achieved their objectives and captured three officers and 342 soldiers. Their own casualties were just over fifty all ranks killed and wounded."

Hope this is some help,

Ken

Many thanks Ken - that points me in the right direction and gives me more avenues to pursue.

Very much appreciated !

Kind regards.