Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Army Medical Corps - service in Italy

Guest E Quaggin

Guest E Quaggin

Cpl J A McCormack RAMC, resident in the Isle of Man, enlisted ? from where? and served, I think, in Italy as he brought back a mandolin dated Naples 1909, a trumpet marked A Facchinetti- Genova, a wooden box marked Ricordo di Napoli and his son received an Italian postcard marked Naples "wishing you a happy New Year" and dated in pencil 1917 and 1918.

He survived the War, returned to the Island with TB and was sent to convalescent home in Kent and died from his illness in 1926.

I have a photograph of him but it is impossible to make out his cap badge or buttons but he has a cross sewn on his left hand sleeve.

Any suggestions as to what his unit was, where he might have enlisted (Liverpool - he came from there originally) and where in Italy he might have fought.

I am completely ignorant of the armed services so haven't a clue of what is what so would appreciate something to start me off on my search.

unfortunately you will need more information before you begin your research a service number is essentail as there are several J McCormaks of the Royal army medical corps listed in the NA

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...=1&mediaarray=*

none are JA or cpl. Even with this you would need the MIC and service records if they exist at the national archives. Realistically thats about all you will find unless your very diligent or lucky. Doc