Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

dead ends and contradictions

adinetuse

My research into grandfather is full of blind alleys and contradictions. I have possible photo evidence of earlier service, but hardly a gap in his "biography", as summarised by his children's birth certificates, where it would fit in.

From the war years I have two copy birth certificates for my mother who was born in 1908. The one (Sept 1914) is annotated "Issued free of cost. Only to be used for the purpose of obtaining army or navy pay during war". Grandad was over 44 at the time.

The other (May 1917) has his name and home address written on the back, and the number MKG 2995. (It might be MK92995 but I don't think so). Could this be a Service Number? I've seen nothing else like it, and it gets me nowhere on the medal cards etc. He survived the war and died in 1923

My research into grandfather is full of blind alleys and contradictions. I have possible photo evidence of earlier service, but hardly a gap in his "biography", as summarised by his children's birth certificates, where it would fit in.

From the war years I have two copy birth certificates for my mother who was born in 1908. The one (Sept 1914) is annotated "Issued free of cost. Only to be used for the purpose of obtaining army or navy pay during war". Grandad was over 44 at the time.

The other (May 1917) has his name and home address written on the back, and the number MKG 2995. (It might be MK92995 but I don't think so). Could this be a Service Number? I've seen nothing else like it, and it gets me nowhere on the medal cards etc. He survived the war and died in 1923

Welcome to the wacky world of WW1. The first copy might be when his wife claimed separation allowance. Serving soldiers did have families and, while on home postings, managed to enlarge them. ;) I don't think it is his army number. If you post his name and the details you have, there is a good chance someone will be able to help.

My research into grandfather is full of blind alleys and contradictions. I have possible photo evidence of earlier service, but hardly a gap in his "biography", as summarised by his children's birth certificates, where it ..........

Hi - I'm doing family research myself and have found this forum exellent in tracing information re WW1 - post the names etc., and someone will help you. Re the parents of the certs 1917 etc., you could try looking in the 1837 online web for BMD etc., you can access all cencus info there 1901 to 1851 now! I've taken a punt and looked up medals (roll of honour etc) just in case - you'd be amazed at what you can find -Goodluck!