Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Volunteer Force Soldier

Donny Anderson

Hi folks, some help required,

I have in my possession a Certificate of Service for the Volunteer Force.

It is to another g-uncle of mine and the brother L/cpl Peter Nicol 820 Gordons. It says that

V542790 Pte James Nichol (should read Nicol)

3rd V.Bn. Gordon Highlanders(2/1st Bn. Co. of Aberdeen V. Regt.) and that he enrolled on 09/07/17and was discharged on 14/06/18. It also says that he entered into an agreement under the Volunteer Act 1916 on 02/08/17 to continue serving in the force for the duration of the war, and to perform the prescribed programme of training.

I was wondering what the Volunteer force and the Volunteer Act was.

I also think another Nicol brother, Alexander may also have served in France as a member of the ASC but I have no other info about him.

thanks Donny

Hi folks, some help required,

I have in my possession a Certificate of Service for the Volunteer Force.

It is to another g-uncle of mine and the brother L/cpl Peter Nicol 820 Gordons. It says that

V542790 Pte James Nichol (should read Nicol)

3rd V.Bn. Gordon Highlanders(2/1st Bn. Co. of Aberdeen V. Regt.) and that he enrolled on 09/07/17and was discharged on 14/06/18. It also says that he entered into an agreement under the Volunteer Act 1916 on 02/08/17 to continue serving in the force for the duration of the war, and to perform the prescribed programme of training.

I was wondering what the Volunteer force and the Volunteer Act was.

I also think another Nicol brother, Alexander may also have served in France as a member of the ASC but I have no other info about him.

thanks Donny

I think this is the " Derby " Act. Try googling on it. Essentially, he joined up instead of waiting to be conscripted.

:) Hello,

In WW1 each county had a Vounteer Force, which was similar to the Home guard of ww2. I understand at first they wore the General Service badge, but by 1916 many had there own 'special' unit badge, and much later in the war they wore the county regiment cap badge. I have an example to the Perthshire Volunteers. I wonder if your certificates relate to a similar unit ? It's just a thought.

Regards

Stewart

Donny,

The Volunteer Act was introduced in 1863, and was the regulating factor behind Great Britains Volunteer movement which began in 1860, when Napoleon II was threatening these shore.

This Act continued in one form or another with amendments until replaced by the Territorial & Reserve Forces Act of 1907.

With Government recognition of the Volunteer Training Corps in 1916 and the formation of the Volunteer Force, the Volunteer Act of 1863 was resurrected, again with amendments to suite the current military situation, as the Volunteer Act 1916.

In July 1918 the Battalions of Volunteer Regiments, which were located the length and breadth of the UK were affiliated to County Regiments and allowed to use former Volunteer Battalion titles which had been adopted in 1881. This also included the wearing of regimental badges.

The 2/1st Battalion, Aberdeenshire Volunteer Regiment was raised on the 7th November 1916 and became the 3rd Volunteer Battalion, Gordon Highlanders in July 1918 and was finally disbanded on the 7th January 1920.

The H.Q. of the 1/1st Battalion, Aberdeenshire V.R. were located at 52 Guild St, Aberdeen and the 2/1st Bn, Aberdeenshire V.R. were located at 156 Union St, Aberdeen.

Graham.