Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card transcription

Lorac

post-11353-1141925674.jpg

Im a complete novice at this so can someone please help me transcribe my Gt.Gt.Grandfathers Medal Card.

Im particuarly intrigued by the 'Clasp'. What is this and can I order a copy of one like you can medals?

Thanks in advance of any responses.

Matthew Coverson was 7734 Private in the 1st Battalion The East Lancashire Regiment

he was granted the 1914 Star; British War Medal 1914~1920 & Allied Victory Medal,1914~1918.[The codes refer to the Medal Roll pages in the MR Books]He is shown as Discharged but as there is no "SWB/List***" annotation; He obviously didn't apply for a Silver War Badge.

He was also granted the August 5th November 22nd 1914 Clasp & Roses to his 1914 Star{meaning he had been in range of the enemy mobile Artillery for a period during that qualifying period}He went to France/Flanders on 22nd August 1914.Replacement Clasps can be readily purchased Speedbid,Ebay & a Number of Online Retailers sell them @ around £2~£5 a piece.Here's One:Medal Ribbons / Bars etc;::>>

Unless he extended his term, he would have been a reservist who was recalled to the colours when war was declared in August 1914. He probably originally joined the East Lancs around 1903/1904.

Thankyou both so much for the wealth of information you gave, I could never have worked that out for myself. Having experts like you around makes genealogy that little bit easier.

Just to clarify things, this Matthew was actually my Gt.Uncle not Gt.Gt.Grandfather. Matthew is a very common name in my tree and I'd got a little confused with the dates. What can I say except I'm 'blonde'.

Matthew, my Gt.uncle, died as a result of war wounds on 22/5/1917. I've discovered he appears on a memorial not too far from me which I definitely intend visiting to pay my respects.

I have one more question that I hope you'll be kind enough to help me with. How can I find more details on his death? ie: did he die on the battlefield? at home? military hospital? what were his injuries? etc.

It would appear he died at home in Birmingham, either literally at home or in a hospital close by. Hius details on the CWGC site are here. The site also gives the following information about Birmingham (Witton) Cemetery:

The First World War saw four important hospitals - besides many smaller - posted at Birmingham: the 1st Southern General (3,500 beds) was in the university and other buildings, with a section at Stourbridge; the 2nd/1st Southern General (1,800 beds) in the Dudley Road Infirmary and in billets; the 1st Birmingham War Hospital (1,000 beds) at Rubery Hill Asylum and the 2nd Birmingham War Hospital (900 beds) at Hollymoor Asylum. Military hospitals were at Birmingham again during the Second World War, including No 7 Canadian Hospital at Marston Green. Birmingham and Coventry were among the chief manufacturing areas producing materials for the war effort and were subjected to many devastating air raids during the Blitz of 1940-41. Birmingham (Witton) Cemetery contains 459 First World War burials, more than 200 of which form three denominational war plots marked by Screen Walls bearing the names of those buried there and in graves elsewhere in the cemetery which could not be individually marked. The small plot in Sections 55 and 56 contains only 31 of the 224 Second World War burials, the rest being scattered throughout the cemetery. Twelve names were added to the Screen Walls in the First World War plots to commemorate those Second World War casualties buried in graves that could not be marked indivdually.

If you obtain a copy of his death certificate that will tell you his cause of death. A scan of local newspapers for that time may also reveal a report.

Good luck.

Paul

WOW Paul, so quick, amazing. Thankyou once again, brilliant work.

Dont suppose theres a link somewhere that I can scan old newspapers or does that mean another trip to the library archives?

Sorry to keep this up, but you keep generating more questions :-)

It probably means a trip to your local record office where you'll find out i) what the local newspapers were ii) where you can access them locally. The newspaper library in Colindale, North London will certainly have copies but that's going to be a little out of your way.

Also ask someone here on the forum to look up Matthew Coverson on the Soldiers Died CD - they'll know what you mean.

Paul

Sorry to keep repeating myself but THANKYOU once again Paul. I bet steam comes out of your k/board at this rate! Im done for now with all the questions but watch this space, I'm sure more will occur just as soon as I shut this site down :-).